[Peace] Michelle Alexander, author of The New Jim Crow, to speak Feb 20 / 6pm / Illini Union rooms B and C

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 03:16:02 UTC 2013

[Reminder] People keep asking me to remind them about this event, so
here it is....
Feb 20- Michelle Alexander speaks at Illini Union 6-9 p.m.

February 20, 2013
Lecture: Professor Michelle Alexander, JD
Author of "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness"
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Illini Rooms B & C / Illini Union / 1401 W. Green St., Urbana, Illinois
This is part of the events of Inclusive Illinois' Emancipation
Proclamation Sesquicentennial. To see the list of sponsors, please
see: http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu/MLK/sponsors.html
"With dazzling candor, Alexander argues that we all pay the cost of
the new Jim Crow.”
"Michelle Alexander’s book offers a timely and original framework for
understanding mass incarceration, its roots to Jim Crow, our modern
caste system, and what must be done to eliminate it."
"More African American men are in prison or jail, on probation or
parole than were enslaved in 1850, before the Civil War began."