[Peace] Michelle Alexander, author of The New Jim Crow, to speak Feb 20 / 6pm / Illini Union rooms B and C

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:45:43 UTC 2013

Why does the United States incarcerate more people per capita than any
other country?
Do African Americans really use drugs more than white people?
While the local jail has a lot of white people in it, what is the
likelihood that those people will not end up in prison (their charges
will be dropped, dismissed, or for other reasons they will not be
prosecuted).

Come tonight and learn more about The New Jim Crow*

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Karen Medina <kmedina67 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Reminder] People keep asking me to remind them about this event, so
> here it is....
> Feb 20- Michelle Alexander speaks at Illini Union 6-9 p.m.
>
> February 20, 2013
> Lecture: Professor Michelle Alexander, JD
> Author of "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness"
> 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
> Illini Rooms B & C / Illini Union / 1401 W. Green St., Urbana, Illinois
> This is part of the events of Inclusive Illinois' Emancipation
> Proclamation Sesquicentennial. To see the list of sponsors, please
> see: http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu/MLK/sponsors.html
> "With dazzling candor, Alexander argues that we all pay the cost of
> the new Jim Crow.”
> "Michelle Alexander’s book offers a timely and original framework for
> understanding mass incarceration, its roots to Jim Crow, our modern
> caste system, and what must be done to eliminate it."
> "More African American men are in prison or jail, on probation or
> parole than were enslaved in 1850, before the Civil War began."

* The origin of the phrase "Jim Crow" has often been attributed to
"Jump Jim Crow", a song-and-dance caricature of blacks performed by
white actor Thomas D. Rice in blackface, which first surfaced in 1832
and was used to satirize Andrew Jackson's populist policies. As a
result of Rice's fame, "Jim Crow" had become a pejorative expression
meaning "Negro" by 1838.
* Jim Crow:The original Jim Crow laws were state and local laws in the
United States enacted between 1876 and 1965. They mandated de jure
racial segregation in all public facilities in Southern states