[Peace] Emergency Vigil for Syria TONIGHT

SJP UIUC sjp.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:36:16 UTC 2013

Hello all!

First of all we would like to thank everyone who came out to the SJP table
at Activity Day today! Secondly, we would like to remind everyone that the
Candlelight Vigil for the Students of Aleppo University will be taking
place TONIGHT from 7-8 pm at the Illini Union Anniversary Plaza (outside
the Union, Quad side). The details can be found at the facebook event here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/269425803186012/

*
*
 January 15, 2013 was the first day of exams for university students across
Syria. It was also the day war hit Aleppo University, as two blasts killed
more than 80 students and injured 160 more. This marks only one incident in
an ongoing massacre in Syria that has claimed the lives of over 60,000.

vigils in solidarity with the students of Aleppo University have been
organized by campuses all across the United States:

https://www.facebook.com/events/272459649548345/

"The University is a sacred place. It is a place where we go to grow into
men and women who can one day contribute to society. It is where the future
of a country is built. It is supposed to be the safest place in the world.

This is not the case in Syria. On January 15, the University of Aleppo was
bombed by Assad forces during their first round of final exams. The total
number of wounded and killed are being counted under the rubble and
destruction.

We stand in solidarity with the students of Aleppo University and we stand
in their honor and memory throughout the US."

The students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign stand with
our companion students at Aleppo University. Please join us for a
candlelight vigil Wednesday, January 23 to honor those affected by the
violence and to express our hope for peace.