[Peace] March 7 two events 4pm: South Africa; 5pm: mass book ban film / March 8 "Dear Mandela" film and discussion / March 9; Durban South Africa / March 13; No More Jails

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 21:06:08 UTC 2013

Dear Peace,

Events!!!!

Thought Amidst Waste: Politics in Shack Settlements in South Africa"
March 7, 4 PM
Knight Auditorium, Spurlock Museum / 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana, Illinois

===
What does a modern mass book banning look like? Find out more about
what happened in Arizona in 2011 . . .
 Film Showing: Precious Knowledge
 Thursday, March 7th
 5-7pm
 Graduate School of Library and Information Science / 501 E. Daniel,
Champaign, Illinois
 Rm 126*
* At Tucson High School, ethnic studies programs have improved
graduation rates among Latino students. But some state politicians
think ethnic studies promote “racial solidarity” and anti-Americanism.
When books are banned and the programs eliminated, teachers and
students fight back in a modern civil rights struggle.  To learn more
about the film, visit http://www.preciousknowledgefilm.com/.
* Post Film Discussion Moderated by GSLIS Assistant Professor Emily
Knox ( http://www.lis.illinois.edu/people/faculty/knox )
* Snacks will be provided
* Free and open to the public
* Co-Sponsors: Graduate School of Library and Information Science, La
Casa Cultural Latina, GSLIS Inclusions and Exclusions, Inclusive
Illinois, UIUC ALA Student Chapter and GSLIS Connections.
* For more information about this event contact Miriam Larson
(larson40 at illinois.edu) or Amani Ayad (amani3 at illinois.edu)
http://www.lis.illinois.edu/events/2013/03/07/film-showing-precious-knowledge
* Directions: The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
(GSLIS) is located near the corner of 5th and Daniel at 501 E. Daniel.
An accessible entrance is on the south side of the building.
* Parking: There is a parking garage across the street. Please leave
the building parking lot available for those who have more limited
mobility. Thank you.
===

Fri., Mar. 8 “Dear Mandela film screening, with discussion, 7:30 PM
University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright St., Urbana

==
Sat., Mar. 9  Champaign Public Library, Robeson Rooms
* 10 AM  Room B “DEAR MANDELA” discussion and planned Skype
discussion with Abahlali Members or Director (please view film
Mar. 4 or 8, or online free streaming through Feb. 28 on AfroPop:
       http://video.pbs.org/video/2328714078/
* 2 PM  Rooms  A&B Community Panel on “Community Knowledge”        in
Durban and South Africa, addressing Environmental Justice,
Immigrant Issues, Incarceration, etc. Refreshments provided

==
No More Jails Campaign (of Champaign County)
Meeting March 13th, 6 p.m. at the Urbana Civic Center (108 E. Water
St.) for an update and strategy meeting of our No More Jails Campaign
Many things have happened:
* the re-convening of the Community Justice Task Force
* educational events with massive participation-The House I Live In
(film), Michelle Alexander's talk, the War on Drugs events
co-sponsored by CUCPJ
* we brought out almost 50 people to the County Board meeting on the
worst winter night of the year to read our petition against the jail

If you can't make the meeting but want to join a working group, please
let James Kilgore or Carol Ammons and indicate how you want to help.

   ###