[Peace] U of I Mascot News Article

Raymond Morales rmorales02 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 03:54:55 UTC 2013

Re:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-23/news/chi-u-of-i-works-out-deal-on-use-of-chief-illiniwek-20131023_1_chief-society-roger-huddleston-the-news-gazette

Dear Dr Kaler,

I am e-mailing you because I disturbed to learn of this news article today.
I don't understand why you are revisiting this issue instead of meeting the
minimum requirements of copyright without continuing to indulge in the
passive support of racist ideology for capitalistic gain. This is wholly
inappropriate and not what an academic institution should be doing.

I have personally met Roger Huddleston and he is a nice guy. However, he is
extremely misguided and providing an ear to individuals with such a
position speaks poorly for this University across the nation and the globe.
He states in the news article that this new agreement will permit his group
to promote the history of the mascot, but will his presentations include
the massacre and illegal removal of the tribes of Illinois followed by
their humiliation with this imagery? Will it explain how the original
dances were changed from small movements that actually mimicked real moves
to wild dances for the pure entertainment of the masses? Or how the
University illegally obtained eagle feathers? Or how the U of I continues
tostruggle to attract scholars of caliber from diverse backgrounds into
Science, Mathematics and Engineering programs along with almost every
graduate and professional program?

And then you all wonder why you have such difficulty getting Latinos,
African Americans and Native alums to donate and support the University of
Illinois. This mascot is a microcosm of the atmosphere which you foster
which is wholly unprofessional, unwelcoming and flat out racist. Please
stop perpetuating this pickaninny/sambo/mammy-like imagery. It has no place
at an educational institution. Print 1000 flyers with the logo (or whatever
the minimum is) and keep it in a warehouse. Stop selling this crap online
or sell it to yourselves and keep it in a warehouse. Once this institution
takes an actual moral stand, it might actually stand for something.

Sincerely,

Raymond Morales, Ph.D. aka another marginalized alum that will never give a
dime
MD Candidate Class of 2014

ILL POETS SOCIETY project, Executive Producer
Snippet: http://youtu.be/cAUl6Qq8qV4<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffBKbcnWls>

Executive Producer & Host, The Show
www.theshow1045.com