[Peace] Fwd: [geo-solidarity] Fwd: [geo-cc] FW: N-G Labor Day piece

Karen Medina via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Wed Aug 27 14:43:39 EDT 2014

Hey all,

Below is a message from Mike Howie of the News-Gazette.  He is looking
for individuals to email him with a couple of sentences to say one
thing briefly that they appreciate about unions, either generally or
specifically. He needs a couple sentences from a variety of people
before 5pm tomorrow (Thursday) to be published on Labor Day. Feel free
to broadcast widely.

In solidarity,
-karen medina
------ forwarded email --------

We run a daily feature called Top of the Morning. It always appears on
page 2. Jim Rossow writes most of them, but I handle Mondays. On Mondays,
we do something a little special, posting a gallery to our website of
photos that relate to the topic.

Here's today's, to give you an example:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2014-08-25/top-morning-archives.html

(You'll see there's text and next to it is a gallery of photos.)

What I'd like to be able to do for next Monday, since it's Labor Day, is
to have union members say one thing briefly that they appreciate about
unions, either generally or specifically about their own union. I'm
looking for something they personally see as a positive.

I will write a couple of introductory paragraphs and then use the
submissions.

I could take as few as two or three but as many as 10 or 15. I'd love to
get a variety of occupations.

The details:

-- To get things put together on my end, I would need the responses by
Thursday at 5 p.m. Please send them to this address:
mhowie at news-gazette.com
-- Limit the response to a sentence or two. If you have to have more, I
can use that online but might have to edit for length in print.
-- While I can't know how much room we have in print, I can use every
response line.
-- I'd need each person's name, the town he or she lives in, the job and
the specific union name and local he or she belongs to.
-- A decent (digital) photo of each of the submitters would be great. A
photo of the person at work would be ideal, but any photo will work.

If you have any questions, feel free to yell.

Thanks again,
Mike

--
Mike Howie