[Peace] Mon 12/15, 6:30pm - Demilitarize Local Police - and No to Tasers! at Urbana City Council

Stuart Levy via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Wed Dec 10 02:01:44 EST 2014

We've been talking about the ongoing militarization of police.

C-U Citizens for Peace and Justice has composed a *statement opposing
police militarization* - see below.  Eighteen groups have signed onto
it, including AWARE.

The plan: present the statement to local officials, starting with the
*Urbana City Council *on *Monday, 12/15.*

6:30pm - Rally, in hallway, outside the Urbana City Council Chambers
(400 S. Vine St, across Vine from Lincoln Square).
                 Bring your signs and your voices!

7:00pm - Urbana City Council meeting begins.   Come and pack the room!
Speak if you're willing to.

A Facebook event is here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1578599002359635

    CUCPJ statement

*Halt Police Militarization in CU*

We are a coalition of concerned Champaign County residents working to
demilitarize our local police. Since Ferguson, the public has become
aware of the trend toward police militarization, especially how it
impacts the African American community. The Federal Government's 1033
Program, providing police with excess military equipment, has been
exposed in the media. Through this program M-16 assault rifles have been
given to our local police, and, most alarmingly, a Mine-Resistant
Ambush-Protected (MRAP) vehicle has been acquired by the Champaign
County Sheriff's Office. We have several recommendations:

  *

    We urge elected officials to instruct our law enforcement agencies
    to withdraw from the 1033 Program.

  *

    We call on Sheriff Dan Walsh to decommission the MRAP.

  *

    We are concerned about the lack of accountability in past
    acquisitions of military equipment and weapons.

  *

    We ask that in the future, there be a process of public consultation
    before local law enforcement acquires this dangerous equipment.

  *

    We ask that police develop clear policies for how these items will
    be used before being acquired.

  *

    We insist that such weapons are not used against minors (especially
    in schools), peaceful protesters, and in serving routine warrants of
    arrest.

For more read:

_"An Asset for Area Law Enforcement, Military Gear Has Its Critics,
Too."
<http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2014-09-21/asset-area-law-enforcement-military-gear-has-its-critics-too.html>_
/News-Gazette/ (Sept. 21, 2014).

_"The Banality of Police Militarization: How Champaign-Urbana Acquired
Its MRAP."
<http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/25792-the-banality-of-police-militarization-how-champaign-urbana-acquired-its-mrap>_
/Truthout /(Aug. 26, 2014).

The following local organizations, civic groups, and religious
institutions have signed and endorsed this statement.

 1.

    Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort

 2.

    North End Men's Breakfast Club

 3.

    Channing Murray Foundation

 4.

    Central Illinois Chapter of Progressive Democrats

 5.

    Central Illinois Jobs with Justice

 6.

    Champaign County ACLU

 7.

    Champaign-Urbana Citizens for Peace and Justice

 8.

    Champaign-Urbana Immigration Forum

 9.

    GEO Solidarity Committee

10.

    First Mennonite Church of Champaign/Urbana

11.

    Ministerial Alliance of Champaign and Vicinity

12.

    New Covenant Church

13.

    School for Designing a Society

14.

    Social Action Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Church of
    Urbana-Champaign

15.

    Students for Justice in Palestine

16.