[Peace] great time to demonstrate that 3:30 to 5 on a Friday / Black Lives Matter

Karen Medina via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Thu Dec 11 23:18:43 EST 2014

School students are organizing (and inviting other groups) a bigger and
more public demonstration tomorrow Friday, December 12, 2014; 3:30pm to 5pm

On Springfield Avenue, stretching from Lincoln Avenue to Prospect Avenue

(yep, stretching across Urbana, Campus, and Champaign)

Bring signs. Bring chants and songs. Bring friends.

The theme is “Stand Up for Justice” and remind police that “Black Lives
Matter” but you are not restricted to this message. Stuart and I are
thinking of taking an existing banner that says “No human is illegal” along
with our “Black Lives Matter” and “The first amendment is more important
than traffic”

--- official statement ---
CU Students for Justice

Stand Up for Justice Public Protest

Friday December 12, 2014 3:30-5:00pm

Springfield Avenue, Champaign and Urbana

Students, teachers, and staff of all Champaign and Urbana area schools, the
University of Illinois, Parkland College, and community members are invited
to join in solidarity against the injustices being waged against people of
color in our community and across the country. In light of recent public
criticism against the students of Centennial High School in their efforts
to protest racial discrimination in police practices, we would like to join
with students from all area high schools to assert our right to speak and
be heard. We would also like to demonstrate the support of the campus
communities and the citizens of Champaign, Urbana, and Savoy in our efforts
to enact change in our communities and our nation.

While the schools and university have held previous separate protests, we
call for a joint demonstration by all groups. We ask that students from
area schools walk or travel from their schools to Springfield Avenue
following their dismissal, and then move toward the center of town until
they meet the other demonstrators. We ask that students, faculty, and staff
from the University of Illinois and Parkland College, and community members
join the students along the street. We ask all demonstrators to stand
side-by-side to form a human chain along Springfield Avenue as far east and
west as possible. Our intention is to hold a peaceful demonstration focused
on visibility of our presence and our message.