[Peace] Fwd: Celebrating the WW I Christmas Truce – 100 years ago this week

Stuart Levy via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Mon Dec 22 15:25:20 EST 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Celebrating the WW I Christmas Truce – 100 years ago this week
Date: 	Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:14:52 -0500 (EST)
From: 	Kevin Martin, Peace Action <peaceact at reply.salsalabs.com>
To: 	stuartnlevy at gmail.com

Action Alert Network: Take Action for Peace

Peace Action: Working for Peace Since 1957
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gmwxBsRRzvAJtUXsv1wlPLhmxTRx%2B4dP>
	Facebook
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=rrbizy%2BxqpAmJDq7ZctHrLhmxTRx%2B4dP>Twitter
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bH5a6UTYfh6L11i4HKP%2F8rhmxTRx%2B4dP>Blog
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ctYo0mTqJ6f9mT7ZmybjdrhmxTRx%2B4dP>Contact
us
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MVksi4%2BcsvmkQsMqMkO5N7hmxTRx%2B4dP>

Dear Stuart,

In this season where “Peace on Earth” is often invoked, yet not always
honored, remembering and celebrating peace history couldn’t be more
appropriate. The story of the astonishing outbreak of the Christmas
Truce one hundred years ago this week calls out for celebrating and sharing.

During the first winter of “the war to end all wars,” World War I,
French, Belgian, Scottish, German, Indian and Algerian troops stalemated
and hunkered down in trenches a mere 75 to 100 yards apart in France and
Belgium observed a spontaneous Christmas Truce for two days, much to the
consternation of the generals on both sides.

Soldiers who had been shooting at each other just the day before ceased
fire, gathered and buried the dead in the no man’s land between their
respective lines, sang Christmas carols together, exchanged food, drink
and gifts, raised small Christmas trees, and even played football
(soccer), with the German side reportedly winning most of the games.

The truce was so successful both sides had to bring up reserve troops
from the rear who hadn’t participated in the truce in order to re-start
the war. Remarkably, no one was court-martialed for voting with their
feet and observing the truce.

I never heard of the Christmas Truce in school. I learned of it from
folksinger extraordinaire John McCutcheon’s song “Christmas in the
Trenches,” which is well worth a listen for inspiration on the real
spirit of the holidays
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UiTcBd9LfIW8fjHGxa0y0bhmxTRx%2B4dP>.

An outstanding book on the Christmas Truce is /Silent Night: The Story
of the World War I Christmas Truce /by Stanley Weintraub. Superbly
written and documented, it ably refutes skepticism in some quarters that
the truce ever happened. The accounts in newspapers and especially
letters to family by troops on both sides are as intimate and touching
as you might imagine.

The Christmas Truce was chronicled in the 2005 film /Joyeux Noel./
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TTREOEsJkSyurWRDPJ04BLhmxTRx%2B4dP>

Unfortunately I missed this film when it played (in September, bad
scheduling!) at the AFI Silver Theater two blocks from the Peace Action
office here in Silver Spring, but the trailer looks great and I’ll try
to find it sometime over the holidays.

As John McCutcheon says, the story of the Christmas Truce needs to be
told year round, 365 days a year.

Thank you for your actions for peace, and support of Peace Action.

Humbly for Peace,

Kevin Martin
Executive Director
Peace Action

P.S. -There is still time to help us meet our $10,000 matching gift
challenge.  Please make a tax-deductible gift to Peace Action Education
Fund.
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GaRR%2FyjouAj81udl6LppNrhmxTRx%2B4dP>

 From the staff and Boards of Peace Action and Peace Action Education
Fund, we wish you a happy and healthy holiday.

      Take Action:

Help us meet the matching gift challenge. Your tax-deductible gift will
be matched dollar for dollar!
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QG1Vf8VcTugNHij0w6YBHbhmxTRx%2B4dP>

      CONNECT TO US:

Facebook
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=WyKDGLvX5YFXxXz05QejcLhmxTRx%2B4dP>
Find us on Facebook
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mjPQcgQLpDa7hyOLYaxY2LhmxTRx%2B4dP>

Twitter
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kZtPfJ3X%2BNPSL5JQlTQWBLhmxTRx%2B4dP>
Follow us on Twitter
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=n%2BddBbG2%2Fm5Dfi%2BJ3AD2QrhmxTRx%2B4dP>

Blog
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gRRi6KaxWpLKTRD1sdUhhbhmxTRx%2B4dP>
Read our blog
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IedgrdlFEuH6hQKXBGvJ7rhmxTRx%2B4dP>

Contact us
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UhpZS61SGHTrCZT0%2FzR9eLhmxTRx%2B4dP>
Contact us
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=X3jenkuhYgKdXBsnMa7EwLhmxTRx%2B4dP>

Invest in Peace
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=eIhDD2frc8t3lqWwpqfv8LhmxTRx%2B4dP>
You are subscribed to Peace Action's Action Alert Network. You can
unsubscribe here
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ePgCqJdDBa%2F9eICfSYeQ2LhmxTRx%2B4dP>.

empowered by Salsa <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>