[Peace] Join Us for a Rally for Trans* Inclusive Medical Care

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 17:33:33 UTC 2014

Local friends and activists:

Please see below for a call to protest and forward widely:

""Attention, members of the UIUC community, and the Champaign-Urbana
community!

My name is Stephanie Skora, and my organization, the Campus Union for Trans
Equality and Support <https://www.facebook.com/CUT8ES>, and I are currently
trying to obtain coverage for Gender Confirmation Surgery in our student
health insurance plan. As many of you may know, the medical process of a
transition, for many trans*-identified people, is 100% medically necessary,
and, in some cases, can even save the life of the person having the
surgeries. The coverage that we are trying to obtain would cover a very
large portion of surgery expenses for trans*-identified students at the
University, as well as covering pre-and-post-surgical hormones.

Currently, there is a movement from some members of the campus political
community to stop this coverage from happening by killing the plan in a
committee. These persons are attempting to remove the surgical coverage for
trans*-identified students from the insurance plan in this committee
meeting, in order to make sure that the Board of Trustees cannot vote on
it. In an attempt to make sure that the voices of the student body, and the
voices of the greater community are heard, and to show clear and
overwhelming support for this coverage being approved, there will be a
demonstration outside the committee meeting on

********Monday, at 1:00pm, in Room 1030 of the National Center for
Supercomputing Applications, 1205 W. Clark St, in Urbana********

WE NEED YOU TO BE THERE!! The people who are trying to remove our coverage
think that they represent the voice of the student body, so we need to show
them what the real voice of the student body is! Please come to this
demonstration to show your support and allyship for our trans*-identified
students, and to make your voice heard, and tell these people that we
DEMAND this coverage!

Here is a link to the facebook event for the protest; please check the
event for any updates or changes in information.  Demonstration in Support
of UIUC Trans-Inclusive
Healthcare<https://www.facebook.com/events/478071945631591/>
"

If you have any questions or concerns, please email me, and I will respond
as soon as I can!

Thank you so much,

Stephanie Skora

skora2 at illinois.edu  <skora2 at illinois.edu>