[Peace] Kraft/Champaign City Council

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 17:51:29 UTC 2014

Durl Kruse has done some good research on the Kraft $3 million TIF, about which he will be addressing some comments to the Champaign City Council hearing tomorrow evening. I've been interested in the TIF/corporate bribery issue from even before I declared my candidacy in August, going back to the Worden Martin half million $ bribe in July. Even the News-Gazette has a problem with this, which just goes to show you how politics can work in mysterious ways.

I will also be commenting at the City Council tomorrow regarding the general nature of such corporate extortion, and what Noam Chomsky calls the "shareholder vs. stakeholder" choices we have in regulating corporations within our allegedly democratic society.

If you are interested in this topic, this paper from ISU merits your attention. Or, you might consider attending the session tomorrow.

http://lilt.ilstu.edu/critique/spring2005docs/tifbydannyfinalformat.pdf

DG