[Peace] CUCPJ Stands in Solidarity with James Kilgore.

Brian Dolinar via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Mon May 12 10:37:12 EDT 2014

Champaign-Urbana Citizens for Peace and Justice Stands in Solidarity with
James Kilgore.

As a grassroots movement  working to address racial, gender, and economic
injustices produced by our local criminal justice system, we have made one
of our main efforts in recent years the prevention of new jail construction
and the mass-incarceration mindset that goes along with it. Our ongoing
effort has had remarkable success, thanks in great part to the tireless
work and vision of fellow CUCPJ member James Kilgore.

In February 2014, a local right wing newspaper launched an attack against
Dr. Kilgore, reporting as if it was news on his criminal background and
political activities in the 1970s and questioning whether the University of
Illinois―where he currently teaches―should employ him. Although in March a
spokesperson for the University made a statement in support of Dr. Kilgore,
in April in a private meeting with the University provost, James was
informed without explanation that the University would not approve any
future employment contracts with him.

We in CUCPJ see this treatment―the attack articles and his dismissal/firing
without reasons―as injustices perpetrated not only against James Kilgore
but all people with felony convictions who have paid their debt to society.
We believe in building a multicultural democracy that includes the voices
of those formerly incarcerated. Dr. Kilgore has every right to contribute
to our community, participate in the democratic process, and assert himself
as a citizen of Champaign-Urbana. We call for the University to reverse its
decision and rehire James Kilgore. We also call on the community to sign the
petition<https://www.change.org/petitions/phyllis-wise-chancellor-university-of-illinois-restore-james-kilgore-s-employment-status>supporting
him.

An injury to one is an injury to all.

CUCPJ

For other articles see: Christopher Benson, "Kilgore case a potential
‘blow’ to academic freedom,
equity"<http://www.chicagoreporter.com/kilgore-case-potential-%E2%80%98blow%E2%80%99-academic-freedom-equity#.U209UFcZrdX>and
"In
Kilgore case, process as important as
outcome"<http://chicagoreporter.com/kilgore-case-process-important-outcome?fb_action_ids=10201974981958149&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=.U2vBam7ZHSK.like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210201974981958149%22%3A784440984910155%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210201974981958149%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%2210201974981958149%22%3A%22.U2vBam7ZHSK.like%22%7D#.U209VlcZrdX>;
Brian Dolinar, "Petition to reinstate James Kilgore: Educator, activist,
and father"<http://smilepolitely.com/opinion/petition_to_reinstate_james_kilgore_educator_activist_and_father/>;
Pete Brook, "After Rightwing Smear Campaign, University of Illinois Dumps
Lecturer and Anti-Jail
Activist"<http://prisonphotography.org/2014/04/29/after-rightwing-smear-campaign-university-of-illinois-dumps-lecturer-and-anti-jail-activist/>;
*Daily Illini*, "Rehabilitation should allow for job
opportunities."<http://www.dailyillini.com/opinion/editorials/article_aa28e64e-ca70-11e3-9397-001a4bcf6878.html>

http://www.ucimc.org/content/champaign-urbana-citizens-peace-and-justice-stands-solidarity-james-kilgore

--
Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.