[Peace] March against Monsanto, 9am Saturday, Strawberry Fields to Farmer's Market!

Stuart Levy via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Mon May 26 12:34:12 EDT 2014

Midge, and others who missed this due to short notice - I'm very sorry -
this was my fault, as Lois Kain had passed along the word of it days
earlier.

In exchange, here's some news from the event.   The march drew a good
crowd - maybe 30+ of us at peak.

That day, there was an Organic Consumers Association / Food and Water
Watch booth at the Market - perhaps they'll be back.   Among other
things they are gathering petition signatures to call on the IL
legislature to *label* GMO foods, as I think Vermont recently became the
first state to do.

One of the marchers was a woman, Tove, in a wonderful bee costume. She
hopes at some point to organize a group of pro-bee demonstrators to call
on Lowe's, urging them to promise that the bedding plants they sell
won't have been treated with systemic bee-toxic neonicotinoid
pesticides, as apparently many commercial plants are.   This is some
sort of nationwide movement.   Home Depot has already agreed to do this,
but Lowe's hasn't so far.   Will let you-all know when such a thing is
planned.