[Peace] demonstration the day after the Ferguson decision comes out

Karen Medina via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Sun Nov 23 12:08:47 EST 2014

Dear Peace,

Hey, some of you may be aware that the Ferguson grand jury decision may
come out any day now. The grand jury will decide if the police officer will
face charges for killing Michael Brown. The grand jury met last week. The
world is now waiting for their decision.

Urbana Champaign is waiting for their decision. Several groups are uniting
for a demonstration here. The solidarity demonstration will be at NOON the
DAY AFTER the verdict is announced at the CHAMPAIGN COUNTY COURTHOUSE.
Watch this event for updates on the date change:
https://m.facebook.com/events/366436770191530
<https://www.facebook.com/events/366436770191530/>

In Ferguson, they are saying, "We’re asking for him [Darren Wilson] to be
charged for the crime that he committed in front of witnesses."

During the testimony, several "facts" claimed by the police officer were
shown to be untrue.

Here in Champaign Illinois, the killing of Kiwane Carrington is still fresh
in our minds. Thank goodness we have local groups (like CUCPJ, No New
Jails, Citizens with Conviction, the outreach committee of the GEO, and
Community Courtwatch, etc.) that do the research and remind the white
community of the disproportionate way the African American community
members are involved in traffic stops, searched, and questioned (for
instance stopped for walking on the street when there are no sidewalks in
their neighborhood), and arrested for resisting arrest.

And the police are believed by juries to be better at telling the truth! I
have watched jury selections and heard so many "average citizens" do two
things that completely astound me: 1) say that police are more likely to be
telling the truth than other person and 2) say that they themselves have
never committed a crime -- seriously nobody j-walks or speeds or parks
illegally?

-karen medina