[Peace] Upcoming Events and Announcements

SJP UIUC via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Wed Oct 22 03:18:06 EDT 2014

Hello!

Hope all is well. There will not be a general body meeting this week.
However, there are a few events being hosted by either SJP UIUC, other
RSOs, and/or the Support Salaita campaign. We encourage you to to attend
any of them, if possible:

*UPCOMING EVENTS*

*Zionism & the New McCarthyism: A Conversation with Bruce Robbins*
Bruce Robbins's short documentary Some of My Best Friends are Zionists
screening.
*Facebook Event:* https://www.facebook.com/events/562364387198142/
*When:* *Thursday, Oct. 23rd @ 7 pm*
*Where:* *Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center*

*The Middle East's Big Three: Where Are They Now?*
Join the Arab Student Association (ASA) for a discussion on current Syria,
Palestine & Egypt featuring lecturers Professor Cuno (Palestine/Gaza),
Professor Bayat (Egypt), and Professor Diehl (Syria). This will then be
followed by a Q&A session.
*Facebook Event:* https://www.facebook.com/events/659353530829749/
*When: Thursday, Oct. 23rd @ 7 pm*
*Where: Noyes 161*

[image: Inline image 3]

*Conversation Café: "Exploring Religious Integration in America"*
Join the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) in discussing the
impact of religion in America and it’s effect on an individual’s
integration into the American mainstream.
*Facebook Event:* https://www.facebook.com/events/1499387013659352/
*When: Monday, Oct. 27th @ 7 pm*
*Where:* *Mia Za's Cafe on Green Street*

*What in the World?: Current Events and the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict*
Next week SJP UIUC will be hosting a discussion in place of a general body
meeting. Professor Junaid Rana will be facilitating an "informal"
discussion in regards to the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict. We encourage all
old and new members to attend. Hope to see you there.
*When: Thursday, October 30th, 7 pm*
*Where*: *Gregory Hall 311*

*OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*Being Removed from Listserv*
If you would like to be removed from our listserv, please feel free to send
us an email to do so. Thank you for your support.

*T-Shirts from Last Year*
If you still need to pick up your shirt you ordered last year, and never
received it, please send us an email in regards to that.

*National SJP Conference at Tuft University: "Beyond Solidarity: Resisting
Racism and Colonialism from the U.S. to Palestine"*
Two of our members, Rico Chenyek and Eman Ghanayem, will be attending the
National SJP Conference in Boston. It is important for SJP UIUC to be
represented at the conference this year since the Steven Salaita incident
is one of many topics to be focused on. Rico and Eman, as representatives
of SJP UIUC, will take part in an extensive weekend-long series of
workshops and panels which will be beneficial for us as a group. It will
also be a way to communicate and network with other SJPs which is necessary
in order to strengthen our cause and take the next steps in regards to
standing in solidarity with other oppressed groups.
Program Website Link: http://sjpnational.org/2014-program/

*New Course: Palestinian History- Spring 2015*
Hist 396B - Special Topics: Palestinian History- Taught by Kenneth M. Cuno
This lecture/discussion course examines the main themes of Palestinian
history during the past two centuries. The events of the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict necessarily frame this history, but in
addition to Palestinian political history this course aims to explore their
social and cultural history.
Meets MWF 9-9:50

Lastly, all flyers for the events are attached.

In Solidarity,
SJP UIUC