[Peace] Economic development at UIUC, event Oct 30

Karen Medina via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Sun Oct 26 22:45:22 EDT 2014

Dear Peace,

I find parallels between US foreign policy, expansion of presidential
powers, domestic education movement away from creating well-informed
critical thinkers and toward a business model...and because of these
parallels, I believe the following event may be worth attending.
What: A special discussion with Laura Frerichs, the University of Illinois
Research Park Director and Director of Economic Development for the
University. // More information on Ms. Frerichs can be found at:
http://researchpark.illinois.edu/laura-frerichs.

When: Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 11:00am - 12:00pm
Where:
room 131 of the Graduate School of Library and Information Science / 501 E.
Daniel, Champaign, IL 61820.
(Enter through the East Entrance, and room 131 ("the Henderson Room") is
immediately to the left.)

-------
"A republic, if you can keep it."
    The deliberations of the Constitutional Convention of 1787 were held in
strict secrecy. Consequently, anxious citizens gathered outside
Independence Hall when the proceedings ended in order to learn what had
been produced behind closed doors. The answer was provided immediately. A
Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, “Well, Doctor, what
have we got, a republic or a monarchy?” With no hesitation whatsoever,
Franklin responded, “A republic, if you can keep it.”