[Peace] Sep 16 - Forum on Central American Children at the Border

Stuart Levy via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Tue Sep 2 18:14:47 EDT 2014

-------- Original message --------
From: "Szoke, Claire O" <cszoke at illinois.edu>
Date: 2014/09/02  14:45  (GMT-06:00)
To: "Charlotte Green (charlotteg588 at gmail.com)" <charlotteg588 at gmail.com>,"Stuart Levy (stuartnlevy at gmail.com)" <stuartnlevy at gmail.com>,megan at universityymca.org,barkes at gmail.com,lcooper at parkland.edu,"Carolyn Vance (cjvance2010 at gmail.com)" <cjvance2010 at gmail.com>,carolinskeep at yahoo.com,"Mierek, Jason Bradley Ploof" <mierek at illinois.edu>,"Melissa Schoeplein (mschoepl at yahoo.com)" <mschoepl at yahoo.com>,kmedina67 at gmail.com
Subject: Forum on Central American Children at the Border

Hi All:
Attached is a flyer about an upcoming forum on
Central American Children at the Border:  What Can We in Champaign-Urbana Do?

Please distribute to those individuals/groups you think might be interested.

Claire Szoke

Central American Children at the Border: What Can We in Champaign-Urbana Do?

Community Awareness and Dialogue Forum
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign,  309 W. Green, U

We've all been hearing quite a bit lately about the humanitarian crisis precipitated by the arrival of tens of thousands of unaccompanied minors coming here from Central America.

So what's really going on here? It's time we gave the children a voice.  Join us for this important community dialogue.

Guest Speaker:  Rebecca Cabezas, Paralegal at the National Immigrant Justice Center

Objectives include:

·        Understand the humanitarian crisis of Central American children on the border
·        Learn what ordinary citizens can do to help:
***Raise funds for legal representation
***Mentor individual students and provide support for host families or host groups
Co-sponsors include:  CU-Immigration Forum, Immigration Task Force of the UUCUC, the University YMCA, and Channing Murray Foundation