[Peace] An opinion regarding the campaign to reinstate Prof. Salaita

Vukoni Lupa-Lasaga via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Wed Sep 10 12:37:35 EDT 2014

Dear comrades,

Judging from several recent events, especially the pro-Wise center-spread
ad in today's Daily Illini, impending vote of support for the chancellor
from the student senate, and Wise's renewed combativeness (after a week of
faux contritions), the administration's counter-offensive is gathering
steam.

We may do well to analyze where the support for Wise is coming from. I made
a back-of-the-envelope analysis of the names on the ad. While it isn't
surprising that the majority of the faculty and few students who signed
onto the Daily Illini ad are from pro-big business colleges and
departments, such as engineering, ACES,  Physics, Computer Science,
Chemistry, Business, Biology, Music and Law, which generally tend to have
an uncontroversial approach to scholarship, I was surprised to see names
from psychology, education, political science, linguistics and foreign
languages, anthropology, gender and women studies, English, Communication,
history, media and cinema studies, and even African studies! Indeed, the
bulk of non-science and business signatures appear to be from education!

As we go forward, I think it is important to recognize that part of the
university administration's strategy both now and for the longer term is to
divide and conquer/rule the university community by peeling off the
majority of faculty (and hopefully students) from the so-called larger and
financially well-endowed departments from the "trouble-maker" units. There
is an element of class division and class warfare in how this thing is
playing out. Their tactics obviously revolves around emphasizing that there
is growing support for Chancellor Wise from the university community and
dismissing or marginalizing the opposition to her decision on unhiring
Prof. Salaita as a fringe, radical and unproductive undertaking. Case in
point: Prof. Michael Leroy, a pro-Chancellor faculty, was quoted
unfavorably comparing the vote of no confidence votes from several
departments to their side's petition in support of Wise. "The petition
looks at the body of work as a whole that the chancellor's produced," he
said. "A no confidence vote doesn't accomplish anything constructive or
positive." (http://tinyurl.com/kp27vc9). Monday's Daily Illini carried a
news item about the growing support for Wise (http://tinyurl.com/kymvfc5).
To the best of my knowledge, there has been no comparable news updates
reflecting that more departments (a total of 11 as of yesterday, if I
remember correctly) have cast a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Wise.

Whether the administration and its supporters succeed in doing this depends
on how we proceed with our Pro-Salaita campaign. Up to now, I have been
largely responding to calls for action from groups such as SJP, GEO, and
AWARE. I trust you guys are all doing your homework in regards to
anticipating, countering or even pre-empting the administration's
maneuvers. But having directly experienced in 2007 how faculty and students
at DePaul were outflanked by that university's administration when it
denied Prof. Norm Finkelstein tenure, it is very important to pursue our
goals with all due diligence and all the tools available to us. As some of
you may be aware, Norm was forced to accept a financial settlement, whose
details are undisclosed to this day.

The best outcome for academic freedom advocates is a reversal of the
decision to unhire Salaita. But Wise and company hope to outsmart or simply
out-sit us and get off with a financial settlement and a gad on Salaita. To
the corporate university, such undisclosed payments are the cost of doing
business, much to be preferred to a victory by our side.

Aluta Continua/Mapambano Inaendelea!

Vukoni

PS. I apologize for cross-posting.

--
"You cannot carry out fundamental change without a certain amount of
madness. In this case, it comes from nonconformity, the courage to turn