[Peace] FW: Green Party Election Victories! Plus, Jill Stein to Speak at Urbana Meeting, April 18th!

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 11 16:42:37 EDT 2015

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 18:35:28 +0000
From: info at ilgp.org
To: karenaram at hotmail.com
Subject: Green Party Election Victories! Plus, Jill Stein to Speak at Urbana Meeting, April 18th!

    NationBuilder

Dear Karen --

Today Galesburg, Next Year
Springfield: Green Party Election
Victories!

  Peter
Schwartzman

 Three Illinois Green Party members were
elected to local office in this year’s municipal elections: In the
City of Galesburg, Alderman Peter Schwartzman earned a second term
over challenger Ted Hoffman for the seat in Ward 5. In Warrenville,
Steve Alesch was also re-elected to a second term as a Warrenville
Park District Commissioner. And in Plano, in a rare win for a write-in
candidate, Adrian Frost won a seat on the Plano Library
Board.

    Schwartzman is associate professor and chair of
environmental studies at Knox College, and is one of the creators of
the informative website, www.solarutopia.org. He won the endorsement of the
Galesburg Register-Mail, which wrote:

    “He lists as one of
his top accomplishments helping educate the community about energy
consolidation, which led to a referendum passing and a savings to
residents of about $2 million over 18 months. Our sources say he was
instrumental in getting the information to the public.

    “Schwartzman's
for priority-based budgeting so big decisions aren't made in 'the 11th
hour.' He's a proponent of safe walking and biking, especially
downtown, and wants more youth-centered attractions. He said those
things make the city more attractive to people who might locate here.
He campaigns for ‘affordable Internet and fast Wi-Fi for
all.’”

    Other Greens ran commendably competitive campaigns,
while not quite winning enough votes to prevail. These included Scott
Summers, winning over 21 percent of the vote in a four-person race for
McHenry County College Board, David Black, winning 36 percent of the
vote despite being greatly outspent by his opponent, in his race for
Rock Valley College Trustee, and Toni M Williams, who came in fourth
out of nine contestants running for three seats on the Thornton
Township High School District 205 Board.

    Congratulations
to Peter, Steve, Adrian and all of our fine candidates who worked hard
to bring Green politics into local government!

Jill
Stein to Speak at Membership Meeting
Dinner!

    The Illinois Green
Party is pleased to announce that 2012 Green Party presidential
candidate Dr. Jill Stein will be the keynote speaker at its April 18th
membership meeting dinner in Urbana. Both the meeting and the dinner
will be held at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, 202 S.
Broadway, Urbana, IL 61801. The meeting will begin at 9:00 a.m.
(registration begins at 8:30), and will include both important
decision-making sessions as well as informative presentations (more
details below).

    Dr. Jill Stein was born in Chicago and
raised in suburban Highland Park, Illinois. She is a mother,
physician, longtime teacher of internal medicine, and pioneering
environmental-health advocate. She was a principal organizer for the
Global Climate Convergence for People, Planet and Peace over Profit.
Besides serving as its most recent presidential candidate, she has
been a tireless advocate and spokesperson for the Green Party. She has
helped lead initiatives promoting healthy communities, local green
economies and stronger democracy – including campaign finance reform,
green jobs, racially-just redistricting, and the cleanup of
incinerators, coal plants, and toxic-pesticides. Stein recently formed
an exploratory committee for a possible 2016 presidential campaign.
(See announcement here: http://www.jill2016.com/announcement_pr)

 The dinner, which begins at 6:00 p.m., is a fundraiser for the
Illinois Green Party. The cost is $30 a plate, $20 for low-income
persons. There will be a cash bar plus musical entertainment by Jake
Schumacher’s Irish Music Quartet. We will have a silent auction --
please bring items to donate to help raise funds for the Illinois
Green Party!

    If you plan on attending either the meeting or the dinner
(or hopefully both!), please RSVP Rita Maniotis, at
ritamaniotis at yahoo.com, letting her know, if: a) you
plan to attend the meeting; b) you plan to come in the night before
and can attend a social gathering at Crane Alley; c) you plan to eat
lunch at the meeting ($7.95/box lunch); and/or d) you plan to attend
the fundraiser dinner. There are vegan options as as well as gluten
free options for both meals. Please let Rita know your dietary
preference so that there will be enough box lunches of the type
needed. The dinner menu is: vegetarian/vegan mostaccioli and teriyaki
chicken over rice with sides that are all vegan friendly: tossed
salad, black bean and corn salad, roasted potatoes and fruit
salad.

    The meeting will now include a panel featuring some
of our current Green Party officeholders. Other meeting
highlights:

    ● Election of officers to our seven-member
Executive Committee and representatives to the Green National
Committee. We are especially encouraging newer and younger members to
volunteer and gain experience! Please review Articles 6 and 7 of our
bylaws ( http://www.ilgp.org/bylaws) for more information.
If you think you might be interested but have questions, please
contact ILGP Chair Rich Whitney at richwhitney at frontier.com or
Secretary Vito Mastrangelo, at ilgpsecretary at gmail.com.

    ●
Approval of a procedure for voting on our new platform. (See draft
platform at: http://www.ilgp.org/platform)

    ● For
newer members especially, Rich Whitney will present The Fierce
Urgency of Now: Why Green Political Action is Essential, a vision
of, and orientation to, Green Party politics.

    ● An
informative workshop on using NationBuilder, our powerful new tool
that integrates communication, website, database, social media and
other functions, all at one site, led by former chair Phil
Huckelberry.

    ● Reports on the 2015 elections, current
litigation and current legislative priorities in Springfield, as well
as an update on the Illinois single-payer healthcare movement.

    The meeting will also include a workshop/discussion on
fundraising, led by former GP-US fundraiser Dave Sacks, and discussion
on our priorities for the 2016 election cycle.

Illinois
Greens Making News!

    Chicago Green Charles
Paidock, who has some expertise on transportation issues, was recently
quoted by the Chicago Tribune in an article about the hazards
posed by trains hauling crude oil or ethanol. Here’s a link
(registration required to access article):  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-oil-train-new-data-met-20150403-story.html#page=1

    Current ILGP chair Rich Whitney wrote the first of what
is expected to become a monthly op-ed in the Southern Illinoisan, on
how to solve the state’s budget and pension crisis, under the
headline, “Illinois Doesn’t Have to Settle for Austerity.” Here’s the
link: http://thesouthern.com/news/opinion/mailbag/guest-view-illinois-doesn-t-have-to-settle-for-austerity/article_e3f33f57-2c59-575d-b30f-73b153494d51.html

    Remember: If you don’t like the news, go
out and make some of your own!

Illinois Green
Party
http://www.ilgp.org/

Illinois Green Party · 213 S Wheaton Ave · Wheaton
IL 60187

Facebook
· Twitter

This email was sent to karenaram at hotmail.com.  To stop