[Peace] Piketty reading group - Wednesday 12 August, 6pm

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Tue Aug 11 17:21:14 EDT 2015

This week’s meeting of the AWARE group reading “Capital in the Twenty-First Century” will consider the penultimate chapter, “15. A Global Tax on Capital.”

The chapter is outlined as follows:
A Global Tax on Capital: A Useful Utopia
Democratic and Financial Transparency
A Simple Solution: Automatic Transmission of Banking Information
What Is the Purpose of a Tax on Capital?
A Blueprint for a European Wealth Tax
Capital Taxation in Historical Perspective
Alternative Forms of Regulation: Protectionism and Capital Controls
The Mystery of Chinese Capital Regulation
The Redistribution of Petroleum Rents
Redistribution through Immigration

Come and enjoy the fun. Piketty has been saving up - so to speak - for this, and the stage will be as littered with (economic) corpses as the last act of HAMLET.

Speaking of which, I will circulate some suggestions for texts to read in the fall semester. Since there’s an academic boycott underway of the Little University Around the Corner, someone has to cary the load. (A political reading of the Shakespeare plays is one of the suggestions.)

For those who would like to catch up, there is a summary of the book at <http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/Piketty2014Capital21c.pdf> (h/t D. Green).

Members and friends of AWARE are invited to participate in the discussion at 6pm on Wednesday 12 August at 5 Litchfield Lane in Champaign (regardless of whether they’ve read the text). My wife has made cookies much better (and more politically sound) than Victoria Nuland’s.

Regards, CGE

PS - I asked a friend, a distinguished professor of French literature, how our author’s name should properly be pronounced.

He said the name was probably originally English, but he pronounced it to rhyme (in my Anglophone ear) with ‘rickety’ - as in 'a rickety staircase’ - but with the accent postponed, or at least evened out. So I’ll try to say that from now on.

###