[Peace] The final meeting of the AWARE group reading Piketty, tonight

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Wed Aug 26 12:32:52 EDT 2015

The AWARE group who’ve been reading CAPITAL IN THE 21ST CENTURY over the summer will conclude with a final meeting on Wednesday 26 August at 6pm at 5 Litchfield Lane, Champaign.

Members and friends of AWARE are invited to attend and participate in the discussion, even if they haven’t yet read Thomas Piketty’s important book.

Here’s a recent interview with Piketty that concerns the vast inequality in university education in the US:

http://www.newphilosopher.com/articles/a-property-crisis-interview-with-thomas-piketty/ <http://www.newphilosopher.com/articles/a-property-crisis-interview-with-thomas-piketty/>

Regards, CGE

Beginning in September, the group will consider two texts,

~ "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate” (2014) by Naomi Klein; and
~ "Laudato si': On care for our common home” (2015) by Francis, bishop of Rome.

Klein’s book is in the bookstores and libraries, and the pope’s encyclical is available in its entirety in several places online, e.g.
<http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html>.

The first meeting to consider the works by Frank and Naomi (his new bff) will be a month from today, Wednesday 23 September at 6pm at 5 Litchfield Lane, Champaign. I’ll send out a reminder.

—CGE