[Peace] East Central Illinois #SupportIranDeal Day of Action report

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Aug 26 20:14:06 EDT 2015

We had 19 people by my count in Rodney Davis' office in Champaign. There
was also an event in Decatur. We delivered 69 pages of signatures from
IL-13 from the joint national petition.

Among those present in Champaign: a guy who had served with the Peace Corps
in Iran in the 60s and has been back since; former mayor of Champaign
Dannel McCollum; at least 3 Iranian-Americans; at least two members of the
local Jewish Voice for Peace chapter.

We made the staffers look through the petition pages and see the addresses.
"See, it's not just pot smoking hippies in Champaign-Urbana, it's all over
the district."

Here are some pictures of the group in Champaign:

https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636675154320297985
https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636677216336773124
https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636677470612234240
https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636677631161843712

Unfortunately, nobody accepted my invitation to accompany me to Danville to
hassle Shimkus. So I had to go as an Army of One.

https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636679079450812416

Fun east central Illinois trivia: you know the Cannon House Office Building
in DC? Cannon was from Danville. These signs are across the street from the
federal building where Shimkus' office is:

https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636682209928327168
https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636682472588222464

Final piece of Danville trivia: this sign is on one of the doors of the
federal building. In terms of compass points, guess on which corner of the
building is the door to which this sign is affixed:

https://twitter.com/naiman/status/636681505352359936

===

Robert Naiman
Policy Director