[Peace] News-Gazette LTE: Iran deal shows parties' differences

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Aug 27 11:12:07 EDT 2015

http://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letters-editor/2015-08-26/iran-deal-shows-parties-differences.html

Iran deal shows parties' differences
Wed, 08/26/2015 - 7:00am | The News-Gazette
<http://www.news-gazette.com/users/digitalmedia>

David Gill has certainly chosen an odd time to claim that there is no
meaningful difference between Democrats and Republicans, or that political
parties don't matter. Doesn't he read newspapers?

Democratic President Barack Obama and Democratic Secretary of State John
Kerry worked with our European allies to negotiate an agreement to control
Iran's nuclear program. Illinois Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin supports the
agreement. All Democratic presidential candidates, including Hillary
Clinton and Bernie Sanders, support the agreement.

All Republican presidential candidates, including Donald Trump, Jeb Bush
and former war-skeptic Rand Paul — the apple fell far from the tree —
oppose the agreement. Republicans in Congress like Illinois Republican Sen.
Mark Kirk and Illinois Republican Rep. Rodney Davis are trying to blow up
the agreement so that the Republicans who brought us the Iraq war can have
a war with Iran.

If the agreement survives Republican Congressional attempts to sabotage it,
it will be because congressional Democrats stood with the Democratic
president.

No difference between Democrats and Republicans? Really, David?

David is right about one thing: A Democrat is sure to run to challenge
Rodney Davis. I personally guarantee it.

If no other credible Democrat steps forward, I will.

ROBERT NAIMAN

Urbana