[Peace] Fwd: UPTV requests your help - please write to US Senator Mark Kirk re Community Access Preservation Act

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:17:57 EST 2015

 From our friends at Urbana Public TV, who do all kinds of great work
for our community, including very generous help putting out AWARE on the
Air every week...   Please write to US Senator Mark Kirk to urge him to
support the Community Access Preservation Act.   See below.

 > If you have a moment today or tomorrow to dash off a quick note to
Senator Kirk, it couldn’t hurt!   This would be a major step forward in
preserving community access television.  Thanks very much!

*Action Alert*

*(please do this by Monday)*

**

American Community Television has been working on behalf of Public,
Educational and Government (PEG) access television on Capitol Hill to
get federal legislation passed to preserve and protect PEG access
television.

The _Community Access Preservation Act_ (CAP Act) will soon be
introduced by Senators Tammy Baldwin and Ed Markey.

We believe we are close to having Senator Mark Kirk join the bill.

The CAP Act does the following:

·Allows PEG access channels to use PEG funds for operational expenses as
well as capital expenses.  This removes a major barrier for PEG
television and we believe it will save or create 8,400 jobs nationwide.

·Restores funding to access channels in statewide franchising states
where PEG funding was eliminated.

·Prevents a cable operator from charging municipalities and school
districts for the transmission of the channels.

·Keeps PEG access on the Basic tier of service, prevents operators from
slamming PEG into the high 100’s and 900’s channels positions.

We have been told by Senator Kirk’s staff that it is important that the
Senator hear from municipalities and individuals in Illinois. *_Please
write him a quick note asking him to co-sponsor the Community Access
Preservation Act (CAP Act). _*

__

*You can use the fill in form on his website at:*

*http://www.kirk.senate.gov/?p=comment_on_legislation*

**

*·**Say which access channel you are from (in which city)***

*·**Let him know how important access is to the community***

*·**Ask him to co-Sponsor the Community Access Preservation Act (the CAP
Act)***

*·**Thank him for his service and for supporting the CAP Act.*

*Please do this as soon as possible as we would really like to have him
on the legislation as soon as it’s introduced.*

Thank You!  Bunnie Riedel

Learn more: www.acommunitytv.org <http://www.acommunitytv.org>

410-992-4976

American Community Television