[Peace] event / Reclaiming MLK's Radical Roots, Jan. 25, 2015; 2pm / offer to read a paragraph of his speech

Karen Medina via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Tue Jan 20 17:02:50 EST 2015

Reclaiming MLK's Radical Roots
Sunday, January 25, 2015
2pm to 4pm
U-C Independent Media Center, Sun Room / 202 S. Broadway, Urbana, IL 61801

CUCPJ and UCIMC will host “Reclaiming MLK’s Radical Roots” as part of a
national effort to bring the #BlackLivesMatter movement into the New Year.

We'll have invited readers, music, and refreshments, and an open mic. Bring
your favorite King speeches and reflections on them, or we'll supply copies
of his more radical writings.

Too often in mainstream media we see a whitewashed Martin Luther King. But
if King had been only a dreamer, they wouldn't have shot him. His words and
actions of nearly fifty years ago were controversial at the time and remain
profoundly radical today.

We want to revisit his example to bring forth a 21st Century grassroots
movement. We continued to be haunted by what King called the triplets of
“racism,” “materialism,” and “militarism.” Now more than ever we need a
“radical revolution” against the New Jim Crow―mass incarceration, police
brutality, and a criminal injustice system keeping African American youth
in shackles. What can we understand of today's situations in the light of
Martin Luther King's vision, and where does it lead us?

Sponsored by Champaign-Urbana Citizens for Peace and Justice and the U-C
Independent Media Center.

Facebook announcement:
https://www.facebook.com/events/796810760389233/?ref=6&ref_notif_type=plan_user_invited