[Peace] Standing Up for Racial Justice

elizaBeth Simpson elizacorps at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:23:59 EST 2015

Please join us this sunday for our first SURJ meeting.
Sunday, February 1 2pm
Champaign Public LIbrary Rm. 222 (Foundation Room)

At this important meeting, we will be shaping what a SURJ chapter looks
like in our community.
If you can't make it, PLEASE reply with your ideas of what you would like
to see happen, or how you can step up to make it happen.

Some directions that have been identified:

   - Resource Accountability partners
   - Occasional reading group and/or Ongoing reading group
   - Mobilization around community concerns (e.g. council meetings, letters
   to the editor, protests)
   - Support for organizations who are having difficulty with members due
   to white ignorance about issues of racism
   -

“Showing Up for Racial Justice” is a national network of groups and
individuals organizing white people for racial justice. Through community
organizing, mobilizing, and education, SURJ moves white people to act as
part of a multi-racial majority for justice with passion and
accountability. We work to connect people across the country while
supporting and collaborating with local and national racial justice
organizing efforts. SURJ provides a space to build relationships, skills,
and political analysis to act for change. More about SURJ here
<http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/>.

Please RSVP to the Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1586425478237007/?context=create&previousaction=create&source=49&sid_create=2197592845>,
call 217-344-0721, or email andrea at ywcauofi.org to tell us you want to join
us!

You can also join our (low traffic) listserv at: cu-surj at googlegroups.com

elizaBeth

217-979-2820 cell

The bad news is you're falling through the air, nothing to hang on to, no
parachute. The good news is, there's no ground. - Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

learn about my latest creative initiative:
Art from the Streets!
www.ucpeopleshistory.org