[Peace] CAPITALISM IN THE 21ST CENTURY reading group, tonight at 6pm

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Wed Jul 15 10:16:25 EDT 2015

The group (organized by AWARE) reading Thomas Piketty’s CAPITALISM IN THE 21ST CENTURY will meet tonight, Wednesday 15 July, at 6pm at 5 Litchfield Lane, Champaign. Members and friends of AWARE (and similar groups) are invited to attend and participate in the discussion, whether they’ve read the text or not.

Tonight’s meeting will consider particularly chapter 11, "Merit and Inheritance in the Long Run.”

Current events in the EU and the US will also be on the agenda, e.g. the actions of US ‘capital’ in regard to Iran, Greece, and Russia. Thomas Piketty and friends have been outspoken on the Greek crisis, e.g., <http://www.thenation.com/article/austerity-has-failed-an-open-letter-from-thomas-piketty-to-angela-merkel/>.

There is a helpful summary of the book at <http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/Piketty2014Capital21c.pdf> (h/t D. Green).

I’m not sure there’s any helpful summary of the actions of US capital. In the words of Edward de Vere, “...what's past is prologue, what to come /  In yours and my discharge.”

—CGE

The triumph of neoliberalism in the US: setting the conditions for capitalism in the 21st century