[Peace] AWARE anti-war demonstration, Saturday, Aug. 1st, 2-4pm at Main & Neil in Champaign

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:10:39 EDT 2015

Tomorrow is the first Saturday of August, so please join AWARE for our
anti-war demonstration,

     2-4 PM
     Saturday, Aug. 1st
     corner of Main and Neil, downtown Champaign

Our flyer this month, thanks to Carl, looks at the long consistency in
United States foreign policy:

    Obama (and Hillary) - despite constant protestations of ‘hope and
    change’ - are completely in line with US foreign policy for decades.
    U.S. foreign military bases (which expanded to more than a thousand
    after the fall of the Soviet Union; no other country has more than
    30) make it clear that US foreign policy has been directed to
    preventing an economic rival arising in Eurasia, especially in
    Russia and China.

    /US foreign policy for a century has seen Africa, Asia, and Europe
    not as three separate continents, but as a unitary land mass, a
    world island. Its heartland - 4,000 miles from the Persian Gulf to
    the Siberian Sea - could only be controlled from its rimlands in
    Eastern Europe or the margins in the surrounding seas. “Who rules
    the Heartland commands the World-Island,” went the U.S. motto. “Who
    rules the World-Island commands the world.” /

(If you think that the US makes war because we have to - in order to put
down this or that bad guy on the far side of the world, as we are told
daily in the media - think again.)

Background reading might be this, on an article by Alfred McCoy that
traces the origin of "geopolitics" - proposed in the context of the
British Empire in a visionary speech by Halford Mackinder more than a
century ago.   Our leaders today are reading from the same playbook.
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176007/tomgram%3A_alfred_mccoy%2C_washington%27s_great_game_and_why_it%27s_failing_/

      "The Geopolitics of American Global Decline / Washington Versus
China in the Twenty-First Century"
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/authors/alfredmccoy>