[Peace] Piketty reading group - Wednesday 10 June, 6pm

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Tue Jun 9 18:48:52 EDT 2015

The AWARE group reading “Capital in the Twenty-First Century” will meet tomorrow, Wednesday 10 June, at 6pm at 5 Litchfield Lane in Champaign.

The meeting will consider particularly chapter 6 "The Capital-Labor Split in the Twenty-First Century.”

On-line access to the book can be found at <http://resistir.info/livros/piketty_capital_in_the_21_century_2014.pdf <http://resistir.info/livros/piketty_capital_in_the_21_century_2014.pdf>>.

David Green writes, "I will make an attempt this Wednesday (before proceeding to Chapter 6) to summarize a few key points in as simple terms as possible, to help myself and others not feel overwhelmed by the data or the technical aspects of the argument. I think what Piketty is addressing is really, at one level, part of our everyday experience of capitalism and especially neoliberalism, writ large."

Members and friends of AWARE are inited to join us, regardless of how much of the book they’ve read.

—CGE

In an essay published on Friday morning in the Financial Times, 26 of the world’s most renowned economic minds proclaimed their solidarity with Syriza, Greece’s ruling anti-austerity party.

The article’s authors—a group that includes Joseph Stiglitz, Thomas Piketty, Marcus Miller and former Prime Minister of Italy Massimo D’Alema—summarized their message as a “plea for economic sanity and humanity.”  Arguing that the fate of the European Union depends on the ability of Greece and its creditor institutions to compromise, they demanded that the European Union provide “forbearance and finance to promote structural reform and financial recovery,” and that Greece demonstrate “credible commitment” to reform and playing “a positive role in the EU”...

Rest at <http://inthesetimes.com/article/18020/joseph-stiglitz-thomas-piketty-greece-syriza-austerity <http://inthesetimes.com/article/18020/joseph-stiglitz-thomas-piketty-greece-syriza-austerity>>