[Peace] AWARE and Green Party in the 4th of July parade! signmaking on Wednesday and Friday

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:32:40 EDT 2015

AWARE and Prairie Greens are in the July 4th parade.   Come make signs,
Wednesday or Friday evening!   Come march on Saturday morning!

The July 4th parade is coming up - this Saturday - and AWARE and the
revitalized Prairie Green Party will be marching together in it. Want to
join us, or have ideas for signs?   See below for our description of our
entry - thanks to David Green, David Wilson, and Karen Medina.

The parade theme this year:

*       Flying High for Freedom*

Given our government's ongoing use of aerial bombing and of drones for
surveillance and destruction, we can go far with that theme.

Marching?  We'd gather around 10am Saturday, somewhere in the Assembly
Hall / State Farm Center parking lot.   Details when we know them.

*We need to make new signs!*    If you have an idea, write back to
peace-discuss about it, or better yet come and make it yourself at
Carl's house after the "Capital in the 21st Century" Piketty discussion
group:

*Wednesday evening, say 7pm to 8:30 or so*  (or earlier if you'd like to
join the *6pm* discussion group)
     at Carl and Leigh Estabrook's home,
*5 Litch**field Lane, Champaign* (a couple blocks south of the Balboa
and Prospect #10 bus stop)

or somewhere on Friday - stay tuned for news.    We'll bring markers and
posterboard.

David Green designed a whole suite of signs summarizing the Green
Party's principles.

Don McClure proposes one that would read, in part -
      Fly this
      (picture of a kite)
      Not this
      (picture of a drone)

and at yesterday's AWARE meeting we bounced around a bunch more ideas,
from kites to balloons to street performers.

Here's the announcement as sent to the parade organizers:

    Two groups - the Prairie Green Party, and the Anti-War Anti-Racism
    Effort (AWARE) - march together to express concern over some
    fundamental and urgent issues.

    Our people need a healthy environment; livable communities; workers'
    rights; and humane immigration policies.

    Instead, we face endless war and violence; rising inequality; global
    climate change; mass incarceration; and unresponsive politics.

    AWARE's members believe that American leaders should obey
    international law and promote diplomatic solutions to international
    conflicts.   Militarism, especially our own, threatens the survival
    of the species.    Drone warfare and bombing campaigns support no
    one's freedom.

    The Green Party and its slate of candidates offer an alternative to
    a failed two-party system dominated by corporations that care only
    about profits.   We promote radically democratic policies towards
    economic equality, racial justice, universal healthcare, and a
    post-carbon future.