[Peace] FW: Support your local Green Party candidates!

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 5 07:45:25 EST 2015

FYI

    NationBuilder

Dear Karen --

Support your local Green
Party candidates!

We have some great Green
Party candidates running for local office in 2015. Here are a few of
them, with information on how you can help get them elected:

 David Black for Rock Valley
College Trustee

   “ I am running for Rock Valley
College Trustee at a critical time in the college's 50   year
history.  Property tax assessments are flat or falling, state support
is likely to decline, and further tuition hikes will only worsen the
decrease in enrollment which persists despite expansion of the
physical plant.  I believe my background, which includes college
teaching in addition to the practice of law and my progressive views,
will be an asset to the college in this uncertain climate.”

How to contact/help the campaign:  Contributions can be made out to
the Committee to Elect David Black and sent to107 W 4th. Street,
Belvidere, IL 61008. Phone:  815-871-8991. On Facebook:  David Black
for Rock Valley College Trustee.

Re-elect Peter
Schwartzman for City of Galesburg Alderman

“I am
running for re-election for Ward 5 Alderman to continue the momentum
that has begun--100% renewable electricity for the City and the City
Government, re-creation of a full-service community center, responsive
to community needs and dreams, free compost available for pickup, and
more. I bring my environmental science background to the decision
table and a deep-seated love of humanity. There is nothing we can't do
if we work together."

How to contact/help the campaign:
schwartzman at ward5.us (email for address), 312-380-9487
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Schwartzman-Alderman-5th-Ward/1493615674261193

Scott Summers for McHenry
College Trustee

“Rather than concentrating functions
on the main campus, McHenry County College now should be reaching out
to towns throughout the county and putting more offerings online and
on the road. In other words, the proposed $280,000,000 campus
expansion is the wrong call. For MCC, decentralization isn’t an
option. It’s an imperative.”

How to contact/help the
campaign:  815-569-4700
Donations:  snail mail -- P.O. Box 430,
Harvard, IL  60033
Checks may be made payable to the "Summers for
Trustee Campaign Committee."
 Website:  www.SummersForMCC.org
Twitter:
@SummersForTrustee
E-mail:  Scott at SummersForTrustee.org

Re-elect Steve
Alesch for Warrenville Park District Board Commissioner

“It’s about community! I originally decided to run for
election for public office because I wanted to contribute something
positive to my community. I feel as strongly committed to that vision
as I was four years ago.  While our park district is small, it is
vitally important to our quality of life, and I will continue to
protect our parks from both overly optimistic expansion, as well as
unnecessary, cynical budget hatcheting.”

How to
contact/help the campaign: steve.alesch at gmail.com; 630-779-8295
Campaign Committee: Citizens to Elect Steve Alesch
27W554
Warrenville Rd.
Warrenville, IL 60555
www.electAlesch.org
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Re-elect-Steve-Alesch-for-Warrenville-Park-District-Commissioner/205201262824079

Donations: None needed since I'm running unopposed

Elect Andrew Englebrecht for Mayor
of New Lenox

“My campaign will fight the status quo
of corporate rule and economics and focus on building sustainable
community-based institutions such as a farm-to-table Co-Op Restaraunt.
I propose to use tax dollars on ammenities that the whole community
can use instead of a extravagent town hall. I want to help people that
need help the most, be an ally of working famlies, and raise the
minimum wage in the Village of New Lenox.”

How to
contact/help the campaign: Englebrecht4Mayor at Gmail.com; 815 258 9433
Mail to 632 Dartmouth Lane, New Lenox, IL 60451

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Englebrecht4NewLenox or
search Andrew Englebrecht for New Lenox Mayor. People can also add me
as a friend on Facebook.

Bruce Samuels for Oak Park Park Board
Commissioner
"I am running for Commissioner of the Park
Board of Oak Park because the present board has no environmental
sense.  Plastic grass and increasing the cement footprint is not the
way to go."

How to contact/help the campaign:
708-383-7711 or bsamuels613 at gmail.com

Officer Elections
Coming Up at Spring Membership Meeting: Please think about running or
nominating someone to run

Our Spring membership
meeting will be held on Saturday, April 18th, at the Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center, 202 South Broadway, in Urbana. Please plan
to attend. Among other things, the agenda will include voting on a new
platform (see below) and election of new officers. These include our
Executive Committee (per Article VI of our by-laws) and delegates to
the Green National Committee, the principal governing body of the
Green Party of the United States (per Article VII of our by-laws). To
view our by-laws, visit this link at our web-page: http://www.ilgp.org/bylaws

The highest
decision-making body in the Illinois Green Party is the membership,
gathering together at membership meetings held at least once a year,
and usually twice a year. The Executive Committee, as stated in the
by-laws, is “the primary body administering the day-to-day
administrative functions of the Illinois Green Party. These functions
shall include, but are not limited to, media coordination, candidate
support, fundraising, and membership outreach and services.” The
Executive Committee consists of the Chairperson, four
Vice-chairpersons, a Treasurer and Secretary, their duties further
spelled out in the by-laws.

The current Executive
Committee meets bi-weekly, mainly by conference call, with two
in-person meetings annually (which can be at other gatherings) and
makes some decisions by e-mail. The term of office is one year.
Obviously, it does require a significant, but not overwhelming,
commitment of time – and if you like what the Green Party stands for,
it is a labor of love. No political party or movement can ever succeed
without the commitment of human agents willing to do the work of the
organization. The party is the sum total of what its members do, or
fail to do.

That’s another way of saying: We need some
people to step up!

Although some current members of the
Executive Committee may be willing to run again, we would love nothing
better than to see some new people step forward, especially some of
our younger members. We need to improve recruitment among younger
adults, and we welcome fresh new ideas for moving our party forward.

A particular need is for someone to step forward to learn
the role of Treasurer. Our current Treasurer, Jack Ailey, would be
more than happy to stay on in an unofficial capacity, to teach FEC
filing requirements and other duties to any new volunteer for that
position – or, in the alternative, he would be willing to teach those
skills to anyone willing to serve as an assistant treasurer for now,
with a view toward running for Treasurer in the future. Our current
Secretary, Vito Mastrangelo, would also be willing to help assist or
train someone who is willing to step into that role, either now or in
the future.

Please note that current Chairperson Rich
Whitney has served two consecutive terms and is ineligible to fill
that post this year, so we definitely need one or more persons willing
to step into that role.

If you think you are able to
serve, please give serious consideration to running for a position on
the Executive Committee. If you know someone who you think would be a
good fit for the Executive Committee, please give that person some
encouragement to step forward.

New Draft Platform Available for
Review and Discussion

The Platform Committee has
completed updating our party platform and a proposed new platform is
now available for your review. Both the current 2010 platform and the
new proposed platform for 2015 are now available on the ILGP website,
here: http://www.ilgp.org/platform

The
proposed platform will be up for a vote at our Spring membership
meeting, but, since many members may be unable to attend the meeting,
the Executive Committee is proposing that members also have the option
of an e-mail or regular mail vote. The procedure for doing so will
itself need to be approved at the meeting. Meanwhile, discussion of
the proposed platform is encouraged on the ILGP-Focus list-serve,
other list-serves, in the chapters, and on the ILGP Facebook page.

The Platform Committee wants to remind members that this
proposed platform is being presented for an up or down vote, not
further amendment, since recommendations for changes were already
taken at two previous membership meetings, and the revised platform
has already gone through several drafts. (Suggestions for future
amendments are always welcome.)

It is also important to
remember that the platform is intended as a comprehensive public
policy statement, and as a guide and resource for members and
candidates. What unites us is our 10 Key Values. There is no
requirement in the Green Party that members or candidates agree with,
or agree to advocate everything in, the platform. The Platform
Committee recognizes that it is unlikely that every member will agree
with every sentence in a 40-plus page platform (which would be
unrealistic for any large group of intelligent, opinionated people!).
That being the case, the Platform Committee hopes that members vote in
favor if they are in substantial agreement with its contents, and not
vote against it if they happen to have minor disagreements over a few
points.

Illinois Green Party · 213 S Wheaton Ave
· Wheaton IL 60187

Facebook
· Twitter

This email was sent to karenaram at hotmail.com.  To stop