[Peace] let's welcome Syrian war refugees to Urbana?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Sep 11 11:26:28 EDT 2015

Obama has announced that the U.S. will take more. Not much more, but more.

Some Republicans are opposed, terrorism threat, etc.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/253334-gop-in-quagmire-over-refugees

What could we do to hang out the banner of Urbana as a welcoming place for
Syrian war refugees?

We have some things to offer. We have a "cosmopolitan" community, with
people here from all over the world. We have a "research one" University.
We have a strong community college. We have pretty good public schools, and
a University lab school. We have a little bit of high tech stuff, we have a
medical-industrial complex. We have a mosque, we have a Muslim community.
We could integrate people, make them feel welcome, give assurance to our
neighbors that we know these people and they are part of our community.
We're not far from Chicago and Indianapolis, geographically or in terms of
transit, which is helpful for people who have DHS appointments, need to
visit consulates, etc. We can do it.

Why not?

===

Robert Naiman