[Peace] UIUC Beyond Coal, Mon 4/4, 1pm-3pm ... rally for U of I coal divestment!

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 19:41:46 EDT 2016

The UIUC Beyond Coal student group at the University of Illinois is
having a rally tomorrow!
For years they've been asking the University to divest from coal.
Tomorrow afternoon, just after the rally, the Faculty Senate will vote
on that question.

   Monday, April 4th
   1pm - 3pm
   University of Illinois
   on the Quad, just south of the Illini Union
   Facebook event here:  https://www.facebook.com/events/1556857254643542/

Speakers:

    Jackie Genova <https://www.facebook.com/jackie.genova.3> and Joe
    Edwards <https://www.facebook.com/jdeddy95>- UIUC Beyond Coal
    co-­presidents
    Mary Jane Oviatt <https://www.facebook.com/maryjane.oviatt>- UIUC
    Beyond Coal member
    Marshaun Montgomery
    <https://www.facebook.com/marshaun.montgomery.3>- Student Senate
    representative
    Tyler Rotche <https://www.facebook.com/tyler.rotche>- UIUC alumnus
    and former Beyond Coal president
    Dr. Zsuzsa Gille, Associate Professor of Sociology at UIUC

    There will also be a short musical performance by Harry Mickalide
    <https://www.facebook.com/harry.mickalide> and a poem recitation.

Details: <https://www.facebook.com/events/1556857254643542/>

FOR SIX YEARS the university has been ignoring the voices of students
and faculty pleading for responsible action around climate change.
Meanwhile, UIUC publicly endorses sustainability and publicly condemns
the fossil fuel industry while behind closed doors casually invests $5.1
million dollars in coal

Our investment in coal links the success of our university to the
success of the coal industry. This is unaccepable.

We are calling once again for change. Join us on Monday, April 4th at
1pm on the quad. Your individual participation and attendance matters.
Together, we can be too loud to ignore.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
After the rally and six years of stalling, the Academic Senate is voting
on two resolutions, the importance of which cannot be overstated. They
are to:

1. TO CHANGE HOW WE INVEST by switching from our current mutual funds to
socially responsible investment funds (hundreds of institutions have
done this) that screen for unethical investments including fossil fuels

2. TO CREATE A PERMANENT COMMITTEE to oversee investments and create a
pathway for future campaigns to make sure our money is being invested
responsibly.

Please message one of the student leaders if you'd like more information
on these resolutions or if you want to volunteer.