[Peace] Durbin non-response response on Saudi arms deal

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Aug 24 22:25:45 UTC 2016

*From: *"Senator Richard J. Durbin" <correspondence_reply at durbin.senate.gov>

*Date: *Monday, August 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM
*Subject: *Message from Senator Richard J. Durbin

August 22, 2016

Dear X:

          Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about U.S. arms
sales to Saudi Arabia.  I appreciate hearing from you.

          The U.S. export control system is enforced by several federal
agencies.  Items with both civilian and military applications, called
"dual-use" goods, are licensed by the Department of Commerce while
munitions are licensed by the Department of State.  Restrictions on exports
are administered by the U.S. Treasury.

          Saudi Arabia is an important American ally with which we share
many common concerns, including countering the Islamic State and the
ongoing conflict in Syria.  However, I also remain concerned about human
rights in Saudi Arabia, as well as the country's intolerant teachings and
involvement in Yemen.

          While in Congress, I have advocated for greater accountability in
our relationship with Saudi Arabia as well as improvements in human
rights.  I have sent letters to the Saudi Government and met with the Saudi
Ambassador to the United States to call for the release of many political
prisoners.  I have also called on the Saudis to implement reforms to better
uphold the rights of women, religious minorities, foreign workers, and
others.

          Ensuring that military-grade international arms are sold only to
legitimate governments or organizations is a paramount national security
concern for the United States.  I will continue to monitor events in Saudi
Arabia and will keep your thoughts in mind as the United States considers
policies toward that nation.

          Thank you again for contacting me.  Please feel free to keep in
touch.

      Sincerely,

      Richard J. Durbin
      United States Senator