[Peace] [sf-core] Re: Sinai Temple: Help Reconcile C-U's Traumatized Communities

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Sun Dec 4 22:39:00 UTC 2016

The ‘defense’ industries are looking for more spending from a president who says he wants to make the US military so strong that no one will attack it. But that’s not the same (in part it’s more honest) as a president who gets elected by pretending to be against George Bush’s wars and then expands them, attacking eight countries. (Bush only attacked six.) Obama is the first US president - ever - to be at war throughout two presidential terms. I’d prefer an administration that buys weapons - “arming to parley,” as a noted war-criminal said - to one that uses them and transfers them to notable human rights violators, like the KSA, Israel, and Al Qaeda. (See Andrew Cockburn, "A Special Relationship: The United States is teaming up with Al Qaeda, again,” Harper’s, January 2016). Obama produced a lot of dead Syrians (and others). It’s clear that Clinton would continue and intensify Bush/Obama war-making; she’s said as much (and more).

As for the recounts supported by Jill Stein (and not, it’s important to note, by the Green party) - cui bono? Follow the money: the Democratic party, the front group MoveOn, and the Soros interests are not suddenly putting up many times the total budget of the Green party presidential campaign just to increase the marginal fairness of US elections (a consummation devoutly to be wished). For what they are doing, take a look at what Stein campaign manager David Cobb, 2004 Green presidential candidate, did in Ohio after that election. He wasn’t even on the ballot in Ohio, but he filed for a recount in that state - the crucial swing state in the Bush/Kerry election, where Bush won by 2.1%.

After Cobb’s call for a recount, the Democratic party filed a Congressional objection to the certification of Ohio's Electoral College votes due to alleged irregularities including disqualification of provisional ballots, alleged misallocation of voting machines, and disproportionally long waits in poor and predominantly African-American communities. The Senate voted the objection down 1–74; the House voted the objection down 31–267. It was only the second Congressional objection to an entire State's electoral delegation in U.S. history; the first instance was in 1877, where a presidential election was 'adjusted' by the famous ‘Compromise’ of that year; what can the Democrats be thinking of this year?

Cobb's minuscule national vote total in 2004 resulted from a ‘safe state’ strategy that aided the Democrats. (Many people left the Greens in those years when it was typical for Green party officials to say, “We just want to be a regular political party, like the Republicans and Democrats.”) See now "The Stein Campaign and the Fight for Green Party Independence" by Brandy Baker, CounterPunch 28 Nov. 2016.)

Stein’s recounts are in aid of the Clinton campaign’s desperate attempt to draw down Trump’s Electoral College vote below 270, forcing the House of Representatives to choose the next president. (Representatives need not vote in accord with their state’s popular vote.) The hysterical media attention to Trumps’ deficient character might give an excuse for the House not to vote for an “unsuitable president” - who happens not to be a neoliberal or a neoconservative.

Jill Stein’s cave-in to the neolib and neocon Clinton campaign is as bad as Bernie Sanders’ and Elizabeth Warren’s. It’s the year of liberal tergiversation.  —CGE