[Peace] [Announce] Tonight 7pm - Re-affirming Urbana as a Sanctuary City!

Sandra Ahten sandra.ahten at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:46:06 UTC 2016

*Are you referring to what the News-Gazette reported that Claudia said? If
so, her quotes are in blue below and  the facts (in red):*

"The space is being used, so to look at it as though it's available is
completely wrong," she said.

They are operating a 20 bed "Transitional program" -- They have room for 50
more  and have operated.

Rosecrance owns and operates the TIMES Center and it's not an asset that
governments can take over and return to the community, she said.

True, but they can stop saying that it is closed due to lack of operating
funds, and admit that they just don't want to run a shelter AND that they
want to keep for themselves the building that we as a community paid for to
be a shelter.

Lennhoff also said many men who currently need emergency shelter never
stayed at the TIMES Center level 1 program, and the closing of that program
isn't related to seeing homeless men in downtown Champaign now.

There were a number of homeless men on the street last winter who wouldn't
stay in the TIMES Center or the Stepping Stone shelter because of program
requirements, she said, and that would likely be the same situation this
year even if those programs were open.

Okay there are some men who wouldn't stay at the TIMES center, there are
some people like our old Urbana Bill who preferred to be a loner and set up
his tent. Or there are addicts who won't stay there because they won't
comply with the rules. That, in no way, means that the number of men on the
street isn't in direct correlation between the TIMES shelter closing.
I've spoken with Claudia at length. I respect her opinion, but she is
spinning this to defend Rosecrance.  Which I understand her being
protective of them,  ...they provide a lot of mental health services to the
population she serves, but that doesn't mean that Rosecrance doesn't  need
to be held accountable for shutting down the shelter instead of looking for
solutions to keep it open.

Community Elements/Rosecrance says they lost $250K over 6 years. IF we can
get the governmental bodies to fund the services, Rosecrance should be held
to operating it as a men's emergency shelter.

Sandra Ahten

<http://kevinelliottcounseling.com/>