[Peace] [Peace-discuss] Against hysteria

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 23 12:31:05 UTC 2016

Members of the US political class (in Max Weber’s sense) who are horrified at Trump (largely because he isn’t PLU) and aghast at his comments "that the US should greatly expand its nuclear arsenal” seem not to have noticed that Obama announced a trillion [sic] dollar program for that last spring:

https://theintercept.com/2016/02/23/obamas-new-rationale-for-1-trillion-nuclear-program-augurs-a-new-arms-race-with-russia/ <https://theintercept.com/2016/02/23/obamas-new-rationale-for-1-trillion-nuclear-program-augurs-a-new-arms-race-with-russia/>

Nuclear weapons (“defense” spending) are a leading example of Obama’s “fake-left-drive-right” politics. After stirring speeches about reducing the arms race with Russia, he expands it. Trump’s suggestion is far short of Obama’s in scope and specificity. And the practical effect of Obama’s policies is clear: in November 2012 he canceled a conference in Helsinki that had intended to establish “nuclear-free zones” in the Middle East; of course he has rejected calls for Israel’s nuclear facilities to be placed under international inspection.

American 'liberals' who reject Brexit voters as racists, Trump voters as deplorables, and Le Pen voters as neo-Nazis will probably continue to be surprised at the political establishment's inability to make the croppies lie down. The plague of American interventionism - US presidents have killed more than 20 million people in 37 nations since WWII - is being rejected around the world. But the US remains during the Obama administration what M. L. King called it long ago: “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today.” Under the direction of Obama's National Security Council, US ’special forces,’ with 70,000 members, are active in more than 130 countries around the world: their activities include kidnapping ("rendition"), murder, and torture.

If Trump brings ‘moderation’ to Obama’s appalling record - ignored by US media but not elsewhere - it will be a consummation devoutly to be wished.

Regards, Carl

[PS - the career of Senator Joseph McCarthy (1908-57) is worth recalling, for comparison purposes. He took a Democratic party program “to scare hell out of the American people” (Sen. Vandenberg) in order to increase military spending against the resistance of an anti-war public, and made it a personal vehicle until he revealed its foolishness and was brushed aside; the program lived on.]