[Peace] Et tu, Brute? Chris Murphy bashes Obama, Kerry, UN on UNSC Res 2334

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Dec 29 17:27:51 UTC 2016

I try to tell my ultra-left friends about the terrain we're dealing with on
I-P in DC. They don't want to hear it. They think I'm being a big bully for
saying they can't have unicorns and ponies.

So. Show don't tell. Exhibit 7,233. The court calls Connecticut Senator
Chris Murphy to testify. Mr. Progressive Foreign Policy. Mr.
I-want-to-be-the-Elizabeth-Warren-of-foreign-policy. To his everlasting
credit, the first Senator to say boo about the Obama Administration's
support for Saudi Arabia's catastrophic war in Yemen. Enter Chris Murphy.

Speaking to MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
member said the U.N. is “*just fundamentally not a fair forum for the
Israelis*” and that *the White House should have vetoed the Security
Council measure* condemning America’s closest ally in the Middle East.

[*my emphasis*]

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/chris-murphy-barack-ob
ama-john-kerry-israel-donald-trump-233026

Chris Murphy's comment about the UN is pure sophistry, and Chris Murphy, as
a not-completely-stupid person, surely knows it. Say the Human Rights
Council is "not a fair forum for the Israelis." Fine. Say the General
Assembly is "not a fair forum for the Israelis." Fine. The *Security
Council *is not the Human Rights Council and is not the General Assembly,
and as a not-completely-stupid person, Chris Murphy surely knows that. The
United States of F*ing America has a VETO on the UN Security Council.
NOTHING HAPPENS at the UN Security Council without US permission, and as a
not-completely-stupid person, Chris Murphy surely knows that. Not to
mention the subsidiary fact that to define Britain and France and even
Russia as "anti-Israel," you have to define "anti-Israel" as "people who
insist that we eat our vegetables before we can eat our dessert." If the UK
and France are "anti-Israel," then your spouse who gently tries to suggest
that maybe you've had enough wine to drink at the party is anti-Semitic.

===

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy