[Peace] does a store near you carry wine from "Shiloh Winery, " purportedly "Made in Israel"?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Feb 4 15:41:05 EST 2016

Let's do a little "crowdsourced research," shall we?

See if you can find this wine in a store near you. Then check its label,
and report back. Take a picture with your smart phone.

===

In his winery nestled in the rocky red hills of the *central West
Bank*, *Amichai
Lourie* prepares a shipment of *award-winning* vintage *destined for the
American market*. On the labels, *which carry Laurie’s signature*, the
winery clearly states that the product is “*Made in Israel*.”

In fact, Lourie’s wine comes from *territory occupied*, but never annexed,
by the Jewish state. Nevertheless, “For many people, when you buy wine from
Shiloh Winery, you are buying from the heart of Israel,” Lourie explained,
alluding to the historic claims many in Israel make for the West Bank. “The
reason why I say ‘Made in Israel’ is because it is made in Israel. That is
it.”

But that is not how American law sees it.

According to an April 1995 U.S. Customs and Border Protection notification,
products made in the West Bank or Gaza “shall be marked as ‘West Bank,’
‘Gaza,’ or ‘Gaza Strip’… and *shall not contain the words ‘Israel,’ ‘Made
in Israel,’* ‘Occupied Territories-Israel’ or words of similar meaning.”
Moreover, it states, “Failure to mark an article in accordance with the
requirements…shall result in the levy of a duty of 10 percent” of the
product’s value.

Responsibility for complying with this rule, which stems from a law passed
by Congress in 1995, rests with the exporter and with the company importing
the goods in question into the United States for distribution.

Yet when asked if he had heard of the American regulations on labeling,
Lourie said, “I know nothing about that.” And indeed, when products from
Lourie’s Shiloh Winery reach the shelf of a *suburban Maryland kosher
supermarket* some 5,000 miles later, the 2012 chardonnay boasts its Judean
Hills origin with a “Product of Israel” label as it rests at the center of
the store’s kosher wine aisle.

[...]

http://forward.com/news/332192/us-labeling-rules-already-bar-made-in-israel-tag-for-west-bank/

===