[Peace] Open Letter of Support for Academics under Attack in Turkey

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Jan 22 11:31:45 EST 2016

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UXZU47gA24YPLLbA-p4uysCKcO7uASisHX6xH3msk0U
Open Letter of Support for Academics under Attack in Turkey

As academics associated with colleges and universities in the United
States, we strongly oppose the recent attacks on academics in Turkey. The
harassment, investigations, and detentions are a response to the basic act
of petitioning the government, namely, signing the statement “We will not
be a party to this crime,” which urged the Turkish government to cease
hostilities against its Kurdish population and return to peace talks. The
repressive responses to this act are antithetical to the spirit of our work
as academics, and no notion of “Turkishness” can justifiably curtail our
exercise of academic freedom.

We call upon the Turkish government to immediately cease and desist all
investigations into, and prosecutions of, signatories to the statement “We
will not be a party to this crime.”

We call upon the Turkish government to immediately release all detainees
who are signatories to the statement “We will not be a party to this
crime,” and to allow travel outside the country and free movement within.

We express our solidarity with these brave academics and pledge our support
through the public and private means available to us.

To sign this statement, please email your title, name, and institutional
affiliation to academicsUS at gmail.com

===

Robert Naiman
Policy Director