[Peace] July 4th - how about Celebrating America's History of Protest?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 27 13:53:23 UTC 2016

The difficulty with this theme is that it implies “protest” is the exception - and what’s being protested against (war) is is usual and expected - and therefore in some sense justified - “in possession,” as lawyers might say.

We might “Celebrate America” by saying “Celebrate America’s Rejection of War,” since every US war since the beginning has been opposed by the US public. (See attachment.)

As President John Adams wrote in 1813, "The middle third ..., the soundest part of the Nation [is] always averse to War.”

—CGE