[Peace] 4th of July parade / come join, come cheer / celebrate the American Protest movements

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 22:16:57 UTC 2016

Dear Peace,

Have you ever wished that the parade included things that you want to
celebrate?

The News-Gazette sponsored theme of this year's (2016) 4th of July
community celebration is: "Celebrate America," which just doesn't do it for
us. So we are taking their theme and celebrating the

Come "Celebrate the American Protest Movements" that brought us the end of
slavery, the right to vote, fair labor standards, veterans benefits, civil
rights, the end of the Vietnam War, the New Deal, and marriage equality;
and is demanding environmental regulation, clean jobs, the U.S. Military
out of the Middle East, transgender rights, income equality, equal rights,
programs not prisons, reform of the justice system, rights for the
undocumented, ...

11:05am start.
AWARE has reserved a position: We are #95 out of 111.
The staging area is in the parking lot west of the State Farm Center
(formerly known as the Assembly Hall).
The official parade route is:
* The parade begins near First & Kirby.
* Continues East on Florida to Lincoln Ave.
* then proceeds North on Lincoln Ave to California.
* Parade units turn onto Illinois street to disperse and exit area at
Goodwin Ave. (near Krannert Center for the Performing Arts)
We could use some volunteers to drive people back to the staging area. Or
just bring us water to drink.

-------
UPTV will not have live parade coverage but will broadcast their coverage
later. (check the website for UPTV --
http://urbanapublictelevision.yolasite.com/tv-broadcast-schedule.php