[Peace] one small victory this week

Debra Schrishuhn deb.pdamerica at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 10:56:52 UTC 2017

>From Fran Tobin:

Food Stamps Restored for Tens of Thousands

Today, top brass at Gov. Rauner's Dept. of Human Services responded to
worker and community pressure, and announced they will restore food
stamp benefits (aka SNAP, LINK) for the tens of thousands of persons
that were wrongfully denied benefits in the past month.

The call-in campaign, and Media attention sparked by front line
workers made it happen!

Thanks to the hundreds that called the governor's office.

The wrongful terminations stem from a faulty computer system (IES)
designed by private contractor Deloitte (which has been under fire in
other states for similar problems).

But top DHS officials still claim there are no glitches in the system,
still put the blame on poor people.
One caseworker reports that the IES system crashed on him while the
DHS press conference was taking place.  If they do not admit the
problems, how can we expect them to fix them?

As we get through the holiday season and into a new year, this is only
one of the many ways that the Rauner and Trump administrations are
undermining the public good, and hurting vulnerable people and the
employees (caseworkers, home caregivers, educators) that provide
needed services.

Together, we can ensure dignity and decency for all.

In Unity,

Francis X. Tobin,
On behalf of the consumer, labor, community partners of the Alliance.