[Peace] [sf-core] [Peace-discuss] Against hysteria

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 4 20:19:58 UTC 2017

Belden—

Certainly it’s right to ‘criticize both sides.’ I assume you would have done so on September 1, 1939, as well.

(Those who are tempted not to, should see Nicholson Baker’s  “Human Smoke.”)

But we’re citizens of only one side and (presumably) can affect what that side does: the war in Syria exists because Obama armed jihadists.

Surely we should be calling (as AWARE does) for the withdrawal of all US troops, weapons, and bases from MENA.  Do you agree?

The poets often get there first:

"...As the clever hopes expire
Of a low dishonest decade
Waves of anger and fear