[Peace] NIAC: UPDATE: What does Trump's ban on Iranians and Muslims mean for you?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Jan 25 23:35:34 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jamal Abdi <Jamal at niacaction.org>
Date: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 4:35 PM
Subject: UPDATE: What does Trump's ban on Iranians and Muslims mean for you?
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

We have obtained a copy of Trump's expected Executive Order.
[image: NIAC Action]
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=02026d2cbf&e=d3a6425abd>
What does Trump's ban on Iranians and Muslims mean for you?
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=3636e51fad&e=d3a6425abd>
Dear Robert,
This morning we obtained a copy of what we expect is the Executive Order
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=6ac290c838&e=d3a6425abd>
that Donald Trump will now reportedly sign tomorrow to ban Iranians and
others from visiting the U.S. This is as dire and draconian as any of us
could have anticipated.

While this is not confirmed to be the final, official order, we have no
reason to doubt its authenticity. Based on this document we offer the
following initial analysis:

   - If you are an Iranian national outside of the U.S. with a valid U.S.
   visa, you will not be able to enter the United States.
   - Iranian dual citizens (e.g. a dual national of France and Iran) may be
   barred from entering the United States.
   - U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) who are outside of the
   United States may be barred from reentry.
   - U.S. citizens will not be directly affected by the ban.

It is not yet clear how the Trump Administration would implement this order
so we caution that this is an early analysis. We will update you as we
learn more.

*The ban will initially last for 30 days but it is likely that for some
countries it will be permanent. The list of targeted countries is based on
the discriminatory visa waiver bill (H.R.158) passed in 2015 shortly after
Trump called for a Muslim ban. It will bar entry for aliens
from Iran, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Sudan, and Somalia.*

The document says that, after the 30 day suspension of entry, the
Department of State and Homeland Security will present a report of
countries that do not provide enough information to the U.S. to ensure visa
applicants from that country are not a threat. Those countries will be
given 60 days to address those issues and comply with U.S. requirements. If
they do not, a Presidential proclamation will be issued to ban all entrants
from that country.

Mindful of the tensions between the U.S. and Iranian governments we are
skeptical that Iran would comply with such requirements or that, if it did
comply, the Trump Administration would accept such efforts. This would, in
effect, mean a permanent ban on entry for Iranians.

There is nothing to indicate that persons on valid visas inside the United
States will be expelled. But if they leave the U.S., they would not be able
to return so long as the ban is in place.

We have serious concerns this ban would also apply to dual nationals, i.e.
a French citizen traveling to the U.S. from France who also holds Iranian
citizenship. It is also possible that this ban will apply to green card
holders who seek to re-enter the U.S. We are seeking clarification on how
the Trump Administration will implement this order.

We have already heard of at least one case in which a dual German-Iranian
citizen with a U.S. visa was prevented from boarding a flight to the U.S.
We do not have confirmation if this is due to the new order but ask that -
if you or someone you know may have been affected by this anticipated order
- you please contact us.

So far, our members have sent over 10,000 letters to the White House
opposing this order.

*The next step is to **call your members of Congress*
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=ee87827b53&e=d3a6425abd>
*immediately
to urge them to speak out against this action. Building opposition in
Congress is crucial.*
Take Action: Call Congress
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=4dd338a15e&e=d3a6425abd>

In addition to pressing the White House and now Congress in opposition to
these actions, we are evaluating potential legal action against this
Executive Order. We will be in touch as this develops further.

*If you wish to support our efforts to fight this we welcome your
contribution **here*
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=defbba0276&e=d3a6425abd>
*.*

Sincerely,

*Jamal Abdi*
*Executive Director*

<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=3aca8f5357&e=d3a6425abd>
Share
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=37db153415&e=d3a6425abd>
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=5fb55455d6&e=d3a6425abd>
Tweet
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=57211f9291&e=d3a6425abd>
<http://us8.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=3e5514a9c5&e=d3a6425abd>
<http://us8.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=3e5514a9c5&e=d3a6425abd>

NIAC 1411 K St NW, Ste 250 Washington, DC 20005 USA

*Help advance peace and the Iranian-American community. **Contribute today.
<http://niacouncil.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec0d04df4f6d2288f04feee31&id=1590dc7804&e=d3a6425abd>*