[Peace] Why I won’t be marching in the July 4th parade

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Sun Jul 2 19:34:57 UTC 2017

“Champaign County. Freedom Celebration, ‘Salute To Education,’ includes
a morning Youth Race and a 5K Race/walk, a parade at 11:05 a.m. begins
near First and Florida, continues East on Florida to Lincoln Avenue then
proceeds North on Lincoln Avenue to California. Evening entertainment at
7 p.m., corner of Kirby Avenue and First Street. Fireworks at 9:15 p.m.,
lunched [sic] from UI parking lot E14, west of State Farm Center.” [C-U
News-Gazette]
======================================

AWARE has in years past been a notable presence in the July 4th parade
in Champaign-Urbana. Talented AWAREists have presented anti-war floats
and displays, often mocking the official patriotic themes of the event.
(One AWARE entry under a ‘war heroes’ theme featured huge photos of
courageous war resisters.)

But I’ve been convinced by Doug, long-time friend of AWARE, that any
participation in the celebration of the shockingly misnamed “war of
independence” lends support to the heavily mythologized tradition of
America’s ‘good wars.’

None of them was good, including the ‘war against fascism,’ used by US
propaganda to justify imperialist war from 1945 to the present day.

The poets often get there first: see Philip K. Dick’s “The Man in the
High Castle” (1962) - a literary meditation, as in a distorting mirror,
of how war can be used to justify further war. More directly, in “Human
Smoke: The Beginnings of World War II, the End of Civilization” (2008),
Nicholson Baker provides the history of the coming of WWII: Americans
born since then have been systematically deprived of an historically
accurate account - and not innocently, but to support Americas'
subsequent wars.

We miseducated Americans have allowed US presidents to kill between 20
and 30 million people since 1945, for the profits of the US 1%.

In a lecture more than 40 years ago, just as the repressive policies of
neoliberalism began to be adopted by all subsequent administrations
(criticizing it made Trump president), the late Howard Zinn exposed the
Fourth of July mythology. See the appended article, “Rethinking the
Fourth of July,” with references to the important observations of
historians Ray Raphael and Gerald Horne.

I don’t now see how I can oppose the propaganda of the Fourth of July
celebrations and still participate, even in a critical way. I’ll stay
home and watch the Red Sox play.  --CGE

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-bigelow/rethinking-the-fourth-of-july_b_5552378.html

###