[Peace] Why I will be marching in the July 4th parade

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 14:59:49 UTC 2017

A friend wrote: I’ll stay home and watch the Red Sox play
Sitting on one's couch is always an option.

The 4th of July commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
It is true that some have co-opted it as a celebration of wars that the
United States have fought.

The theme of the Champaign County celebration is, ‘Salute To Education,’
This theme is particularly important, especially because we as a country
fail miserably at education. We, miseducated Americans, continue to allow
US presidents to kill between 20 and 30 million people since 1945, for the
profits of the US 1%. Let us join together to improve education and help
people develop critical thinking in our country.

Or we could sit on our couches.

As for me and my house, we will join the parade which begins at 11:05 a.m.
near First and Florida, continues East on Florida to Lincoln Avenue then
proceeds North on Lincoln Avenue to California. I will be walking with the
Immigration Forum.

Sincerely,
Karen Medina