[Peace] Why I will be marching in the July 4th parade

Mildred O'brien moboct1 at aim.com
Wed Jul 5 11:33:32 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----From: Karen Medina via Peace <peace at lists.chambana.net>To: Peace List <peace at lists.chambana.net>Sent: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 10:00Subject: [Peace] Why I will be marching in the July 4th parade

A friend wrote:  I’ll stay home and watch the Red Sox playSitting on one's couch is always an option. The 4th of July commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. It is true that some have co-opted it as a celebration of wars that the United States have fought.  The theme of the Champaign County celebration is, ‘Salute To Education,’This theme is particularly important, especially because we as a country fail miserably at education. We, miseducated Americans, continue to allow US presidents
 to kill between 20 and 30 million people since 1945, for the profits of
 the US 1%. Let us join together to improve education and help people develop critical thinking in our country.  Or we could sit on our couches. As
 for me and my house, we will join the parade which begins at 11:05 a.m.
 near First and Florida, continues East on Florida to Lincoln Avenue
then proceeds North on Lincoln Avenue to California. I will be walking
with the Immigration Forum. Sincerely, Karen Medina