[Peace] Flyer for the demonstration by members and friends of AWARE, Saturday 4 March, 2-4pm, Church & Neil in Champaign

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 2 19:01:53 UTC 2017

President Trump: End U.S. Wars
“...provide for the common defence...”
BRING ALL U.S. TROOPS AND WEAPONS HOME

The U.S. is today making war in at least seven countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan. In addition, the 70,000-member U.S. ‘Special Operations Command’ is active in no less than 70% of the countries of the world. Their activities include kidnapping (‘rendition’), torture, and murder.

Since World War II, U.S. presidents have killed more than 20 million people in 37 nations. The US continues to be what Martin Luther King called it long ago: “The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today.”

Why has our government plagued the world with war for more than two generations? The answer is simple and horrible - to protect the profits of the one percent - the American economic elite.

When World War II ended in 1945, the U.S. was the only undamaged major country, and controlled the world economy, for the benefit of that one percent. In all the years since, US administrations have been willing to kill people and make war to “maintain the disparity,” as American planners said.

As a result, the US government is today engaged in war and war provocations around the world:

MIDEAST. Our anti-war group AWARE was established fifteen years ago, after the attacks of 9/11/2001, by citizens of Champaign-Urbana who realized that the US government would use those crimes to justify its already long-standing attempts to exercise military control over the Mideast and its energy resources. The U.S. doesn’t need oil from the Mideast, but Mideast gas and oil are needed by America’s economic competitors in Europe and Asia, and so control over them gives the US a major  advantage over China, Germany, and other countries - a chokehold which benefits only the American one percent. In 2003 the US illegally invaded Iraq - and killed perhaps a million people for that purpose - and now has thousands of troops and mercenaries throughout the Mideast.

UKRAINE. The Obama administration arranged the overthrow of an elected president in Ukraine and helped to install the only European government since WWII to contain Nazis. Then it encouraged an attack on the eastern Ukrainian provinces who refused to submit to the coup, killing thousands. The attack continues, while Russia tries to arrange a cease-fire (Minsk II).  The Crimea region, appalled by the coup government, voted to join Russia.

E. EUROPE. When East and West Germany were reunited, in 1990, the US promised it would not extend NATO into Eastern Europe. But the Clinton administration broke that promise, and NATO advanced to the Russian border. In his last days in office, President Obama sent troops and tanks into Poland. The last national leader to do that was Hitler: Russia, attacked through Poland in both WWI and WWII, was understandably alarmed.

S. CHINA SEA. President Obama in 2011 said that creating an American presence in the Asia Pacific was his "top priority.” His “pivot to Asia” is a US military build-up that threatens China’s trade routes, but for America's arms industry, the prize is huge profits. And the danger of confrontation grows by the day.

*	*	*
The US government says we’re fighting terrorism, but we are in fact creating terrorists - in response particularly to the drone assassinations, “the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern times” - which have killed more than 5,000 people, including US citizens and hundreds of children.

William Blum (author of “Killing Hope: US Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II”) writes,

	“If I were the president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United States in a few days. Permanently. I would first apologize - very publicly and very sincerely - to all the widows and the orphans, the impoverished and the tortured, and all the many millions of other victims of American imperialism. I would then announce that America's global interventions - including the awful bombings - have come to an end. And I would inform Israel that it is no longer the 51st state of the union but – oddly enough – a foreign country. I would then reduce the military budget by at least 90% and use the savings to pay reparations to the victims and repair the damage from the many American bombings and invasions...”

ANTI-WAR ANTI-RACISM EFFORT - on Facebook at <AWARE of Champaign Urbana Illinois>
US troops & weapons out of the Mideast! ~ Medicare for all! ~ Universal basic income!

###