[Peace] How come anything?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 14 01:06:05 UTC 2017

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/women-swooned/ <http://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/women-swooned/>

SHAHIDHA BARI: ...It was a genial crowd that gathered at the LSE Literary Festival on Friday night for the Forum for European Philosophy panel discussion “Existentialism is Easy” (which I chaired). There was standing room only, and Bakewell, Martin and the philosopher Stella Sandford were pressed with a stream of impossible questions: “Is love a hope or an illusion?”, and “Doesn’t nihilism oblige us to relate to others rather than excuse us from life?” (questions not so far from Martin Heidegger’s foundational one: “Why are there beings at all instead of nothing?”).

["It is clear that we reach out to, but do not reach, an answer to our ultimate question, how come anything instead of nothing? But we are able to exclude some answers. If God is whatever answers our question, how come everything then evidently he is not to be included amongst everything. God cannot be a thing, an existent among others. It is not possible that God and the universe should add up to make two." --H. McCabe, 'God and Creation’]

https://www.facebook.com/notes/carl-g-estabrook/herbert-mccabe-op-god-and-creation/10153640869347474 <https://www.facebook.com/notes/carl-g-estabrook/herbert-mccabe-op-god-and-creation/10153640869347474>